Old 04-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Gilly

Default Convovulus

I can't believe it! I ordered via the internet and subsequently planted 10
Calystegia Pink Sensation. They've grown lovely and have finally flowered
today ... only, they're not calystegia, they're convovulus. Now I'm stuck
with tons and tons of bindweed.

I'm going to complain to the company in question and no doubt I'll get a
refund, but in the meantime I have a big problem to deal with. Great!

Old 04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gilly" wrote
I can't believe it! I ordered via the internet and subsequently planted 10
Calystegia Pink Sensation. They've grown lovely and have finally flowered
today ... only, they're not calystegia, they're convovulus. Now I'm stuck
with tons and tons of bindweed.

I'm going to complain to the company in question and no doubt I'll get a
refund, but in the meantime I have a big problem to deal with. Great!

Are you sure it's not Calystegia which is known as False Bindweed and is in
the family Convolvulaceae?
It's often confused with true bindweed and can, in the right place, act in
the same way. Best grown in pots.
Actually bindweed has beautiful flowers if you think about it, especially
the little pink one covering my allotment! :-(

--
Regards
Bob

Old 04-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Gilly

"Bob Hobden" wrote .net...
I can't believe it! I ordered via the internet and subsequently planted

10
Calystegia Pink Sensation. They've grown lovely and have finally

flowered
today ... only, they're not calystegia, they're convovulus.

Are you sure it's not Calystegia which is known as False Bindweed and is

in
the family Convolvulaceae?

Hi, Bob. It's probably Calystegia sepium. It's certainly nothing like the
photograph of the plant that I ordered, which you can see at this website
(which is not where I ordered it from)

http://www.bakker.co.uk/Catalog/Prod...oryname=33&sel
ectedcategoryname=36&productid=1489

The flower I have is white and single, exactly like Calystegia sepium and
it's twining all over the place (but not in the right place).

I'm just about to go out and tackle it, but I don't know whether to dig it
up or give it a dose of Round Up.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gilly wrote:

Hi, Bob. It's probably Calystegia sepium. It's certainly nothing like the
photograph of the plant that I ordered, which you can see at this website
(which is not where I ordered it from)

http://www.bakker.co.uk/Catalog/Prod...oryname=33&sel
ectedcategoryname=36&productid=1489

The flower I have is white and single, exactly like Calystegia sepium and
it's twining all over the place (but not in the right place).

Calystegia sepium is greater (hedge) bindweed, and is extremely
attractive but a serious nuisance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:05 AM
cineman

Hi,
If you can still get tumble weed gel go for it.
paint the leaves with the enclosed brush and sit back and wait. repaint any
new growth and in time all traces of bindweed will be eradicated.
tumble weed gel is systemic and kills the roots as well as plants, but does
take a little time. under no circumstances should you let it flower or , mor
important set seed
regards
Cineman

Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 AM
H Ryder

I'm just about to go out and tackle it, but I don't know whether to dig it
up or give it a dose of Round Up.

with mine I did both - i.e. sprayed with glycosposphate, waited until it
looked dead, then dug it up - I figured that at least the bits of root that
I'd inevitably miss whilst digging would then be sickly.
Hayley