Old 07-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/05 22:52, in article
, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
Peel the tomatoes and core them. You peel them by dropping them into
boiling water for about 30 seconds or so and then into a bowl of cold
water. snip

AAMOI, why do they have to be peeled?

If you don't peel them, IME the skins slide off in cooking and turn into
nasty slithery bits that either get stuck in your teeth or the back of your
throat! If you look at canned tomatoes, they're peeled, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Neil Cairns

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:01:38 GMT, "Gilly" wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

And here I am still looking at loads of green tomatoes none of which are
showing even a hint a redness (and they're in a greenhouse). What have I
done wrong?

Probabley started too late.

Mine go into half seed trays in the middle of March 15 different
varieties, when the seedlings have their two leafs i pot them on into
3" pots and at the end of April they go into Large grow bags 4 plants
to a bag. Surplus tomatoes i give to pensioners around where i live
I also have an Italian machine that takes of the skins and most of
the seeds and the resulting pulp is reduced and bottled to be used in
making soup pasta sauce ect.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM

Sacha wrote:
On 7/9/05 13:22, in article , "Al=

an
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/9/05 19:56, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakf=

ast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Datsy has answered you. It seems that it is present more in cooked
tomatoes than raw but it's a Good Thing. If you pur=E9e and freeze yo=

ur
toms
you will do yourself even more good.

Right, thanks, now tell me how to puree them, and remember, I'm an idio=

t so
keep it simple!(:-)

Peel the tomatoes and core them. You peel them by dropping them into
boiling water for about 30 seconds or so and then into a bowl of cold
water. As they cool, the skin slips off easily. Once you've done that and
cored them, whizz them up in a blender or chop very finely. Put them in a
pan and simmer gently, stirring from time to time until they reduce to a
runny paste, skimming off any water that forms. The thicker you want the
pur=E9e the long you reduce the mixture. Some people like to add a little
sugar to the cooking (about half a teaspoon to 4 large toms) others add
garlic and/or parsley or other herbs, so they have a readymade sauce.
Freeze! If you freeze the pur=E9e in flat bags you can just break off a =

bit
when you need it.
You can also skin and freeze whole tomatoes without pur=E9eing them and u=

se
them in soups and sauces.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I simply chop each tomato into quarters and cook them down for about
45minutes.
Pass them through a mouli which removes the skins and seeds. Cool and
freeze.
This way more flavour, colour and antioxidants are extracted since all
three are concentrated in the skins.
Use the puree in stews, casseroles and curries.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk