Old 06-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Too many tomatoes!

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Mike

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Why not freeze them?

Mike

Old 06-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Sacha

On 6/9/05 16:14, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Gilly

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

And here I am still looking at loads of green tomatoes none of which are
showing even a hint a redness (and they're in a greenhouse). What have I
done wrong?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Alan Holmes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/9/05 16:14, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Lycos (from the Greek) = wolf, as in Lycoperdon, "wolf dung".

Pene (from the Latin) = do I have to spell it out?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
datsy

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

It's an antioxidant substance in tomatoes (and other red fruit and veg)
which is supposed to protect you from cancer and other nasties. Here's some
info: http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/29/cancer_ketchup.htm
However, in excess tomatoes can have a negative effect on insulin levels:
http://www.mercola.com/2004/sep/4/tomato_vaccine.htm

Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Sacha

On 6/9/05 19:56, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/9/05 16:14, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Datsy has answered you. It seems that it is present more in cooked
tomatoes than raw but it's a Good Thing. If you purée and freeze your toms
you will do yourself even more good.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 PM
MrBlueSkye

"Gilly" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

And here I am still looking at loads of green tomatoes none of which are
showing even a hint a redness (and they're in a greenhouse). What have I
done wrong?

Mine are just starting to ripen. Wish I had a glut tho..............can eat
them till they etc etc etc Hundreds of little green chilli
peppers on my 2 plants tho, and my butternut squash have vined out to about
35 /40 feet long each.
MBS

Old 07-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Carpe diem

Alan Holmes wrote:
We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

If you turn bright red and go a bit squashy, then I suggest you may be
overdoing the tomato diet.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Registered User

I knew someone who went orange after drinking too much carrot juice. Not particularly relevant, just a bit interesting...
Old 07-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Alan Holmes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/9/05 19:56, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Datsy has answered you. It seems that it is present more in cooked
tomatoes than raw but it's a Good Thing. If you purée and freeze your
toms
you will do yourself even more good.

Right, thanks, now tell me how to puree them, and remember, I'm an idiot so
keep it simple!(:-)

Old 07-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/05 13:22, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/9/05 19:56, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

Can too much lycopene be bad for you?

If I knew what lycopene is, I might be able to say!(:-)

Datsy has answered you. It seems that it is present more in cooked
tomatoes than raw but it's a Good Thing. If you purée and freeze your
toms
you will do yourself even more good.

Right, thanks, now tell me how to puree them, and remember, I'm an idiot so
keep it simple!(:-)

Peel the tomatoes and core them. You peel them by dropping them into
boiling water for about 30 seconds or so and then into a bowl of cold
water. As they cool, the skin slips off easily. Once you've done that and
cored them, whizz them up in a blender or chop very finely. Put them in a
pan and simmer gently, stirring from time to time until they reduce to a
runny paste, skimming off any water that forms. The thicker you want the
purée the long you reduce the mixture. Some people like to add a little
sugar to the cooking (about half a teaspoon to 4 large toms) others add
garlic and/or parsley or other herbs, so they have a readymade sauce.
Freeze! If you freeze the purée in flat bags you can just break off a bit
when you need it.
You can also skin and freeze whole tomatoes without puréeing them and use
them in soups and sauces.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Neil Cairns

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:14:02 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

We have a glut of tomatoes this year, so I'm eating them for breakfast,
lunch and dinner, is it safe to eat such large amounts?

MAKE Tomatoe soup by the gallon, then freeze OBTW get a bigger freezer

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

Sacha wrote:
On 7/9/05 13:22, in article ,

[...]