Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Ron

Default Watering Camellia with tap water?

I have recently planted a Camellia (swan lake) in a container. Is it ok
to water it with tap water, and if it isn't is there anything I can do to
compensate for any harm I may be doing? I don't have access to sufficient
quantities of rain water.

Many thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:22:47 +0000 (UTC), "Ron" wrote:

I have recently planted a Camellia (swan lake) in a container. Is it ok
to water it with tap water, and if it isn't is there anything I can do to
compensate for any harm I may be doing? I don't have access to sufficient
quantities of rain water.

Many thanks.

It depends on the hardness of the tap water, although AIUI most water
companies raise the pH of their water to reduce corrosion on their
tanks, pipes etc.

If your water isn't excessively hard, then add a few drops of vinegar
to each watering-can full (maximum 5ml per two gallons). If the water
is very hard, I'm told that repeatedly doing this over a prolonged
period can result in a hard crust building up on the surface of the
compost which may suffocate the roots and kill the plant.

Another technique suggested is to add a little ericaceous fertiliser
to the water. The chemicals in the fertiliser will partially complex
any lime present, and even if the acidity of the compost does rise,
the complexed iron and manganese present will counteract that problem.

--
Chris

Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Padger

Miracid was the previous name, now called Miracle gro ericaceous liquid feed
which you water plants fortnightly - root area and foliage. It helps to
counteract the effect of alkalinity and does make a difference to the health
of camelias azaleas etc.