Old 13-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Lol

"Sacha" suggested ....

A Berberis?

Yes Sacha - right again

almost certainly Berberis ottawensis 'purpurea'

many thanks

Old 13-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Lol

What's a 'Chav' ?

please ?

Old 13-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Sacha

On 13/9/05 9:16, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

"Sacha" suggested ....

A Berberis?

Yes Sacha - right again

almost certainly Berberis ottawensis 'purpurea'

many thanks

You're welcome - we have a 'Berberis walk' here so it wasn't very clever of
me! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-09-2005, 11:41 AM
none

Lol wrote:
What's a 'Chav' ?

please ?

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Old 13-09-2005, 11:46 AM
none

Sacha wrote:
On 13/9/05 9:16, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

"Sacha" suggested ....

A Berberis?

Yes Sacha - right again

almost certainly Berberis ottawensis 'purpurea'

many thanks

You're welcome - we have a 'Berberis walk' here so it wasn't very clever of
me! ;-)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I now have a spikey shortlist to
work with. I like the sloe gin idea. I think with barbed wire,
anti-climb paint, a glass of gin, a cudgel and a spikey hedge I should
be able to relax in my back yard for once.

Kind Regards

Richard

Old 13-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Spider

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
On 12/9/05 20:16, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...
Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and

the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.

snipped

Yeah, but the "chav's" will probably pinch them all :~(
Jenny

Now I think of it, don't the police have a list of plants designed to

deter
intruders or did I dream this?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Yes, Sacha, they certainly do. I'm Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator for my
road, so I get to see such advice. I'm sure Berberis figures quite highly,
but Pyracantha, Roses and Holly (Ilex) also rate well.

Spider

Old 13-09-2005, 12:35 PM
JB

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:14:18 +0100,
wrote:

Hi

I have a four foot dry stone (and as long as a terraced house width)
wall backing onto a park. The wall has a two foot trellis attached to
it to raise the height a bit.
My chav neighbour uses the park as a quick exit into the town, and
uses my fence as a hand rail as he hops his bit of the wall. My fence
used to be straight, now it leans my way about 30 degrees.

Can anyone recommend a climbing, *SPIKEY*, attractive plant which will
deter the neighbour from grabbing hold of my fence, and one which will
grow over my back wall and trellis. I was thinking of a white
climbing rose like Rambling Rector. Is this a good choice? I would
like a spikey plant which will grows quite quickly but doesnt end up
looking like a huge gorse hedge!

I am a keen but useless gardener. To cover a wall would i plant one
little plant and then let it spread out over the whole wall, or plant
a series of plants?

Thanks for any advice

If that's the only problem from your neighbours and living next to a
public park then I don't think you have too much to worry about. Of
course if you remove your neighbours handrail you'll just annoy them
which could give you more to worry about.

I'd be tempted to put an 8' post next to the wall and brace it
strongly. You can fix the trellis securely to that, grow something
over the trellis for privacy and security and your neighbour can still
hop over the wall using the post as his hand rail which will be firm
enough to take that.

Old 13-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from none ""Tez\"@(none)" contains these words:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I now have a spikey shortlist to
work with. I like the sloe gin idea. I think with barbed wire,
anti-climb paint, a glass of gin, a cudgel and a spikey hedge I should
be able to relax in my back yard for once.

You'll need a lot of blackthorn to hope to get enough sloes to make a
bottle of sloe gin. and most years you'll get none. Forget blackthorn
unless you're prepared to plant a couple of dozen, and let them grow to
six or eight feet in height.

(The best cropping stand round here is between fifteen and twenty feet
high, and, dammit, there's a deep ditch on the south side of the
hedge/shelter-belt.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 16-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Duncan

"JennyC" wrote in message

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...
Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.

snipped

Yeah, but the "chav's" will probably pinch them all :~(
Jenny

The best blackberry crop round here is on a disused railway at the edge of a
Chav estate - I therefore suspect the average Chav probably doesn't even
recognise these as food, and certainly can't be arsed to stand and pick
them!

They can, however scale an 8ft brick wall like it wasn't there (wearing a
helmet so as to not look suspicious when trying to nick a scooter). Are
there any of these spiky plants which will train along the top of a wall for
several yards, as there is a long section with concrete at the base?

Duncan