Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Spikey climbing rose to deter chav neighbours

Hi

I have a four foot dry stone (and as long as a terraced house width)
wall backing onto a park. The wall has a two foot trellis attached to
it to raise the height a bit.
My chav neighbour uses the park as a quick exit into the town, and
uses my fence as a hand rail as he hops his bit of the wall. My fence
used to be straight, now it leans my way about 30 degrees.

Can anyone recommend a climbing, *SPIKEY*, attractive plant which will
deter the neighbour from grabbing hold of my fence, and one which will
grow over my back wall and trellis. I was thinking of a white
climbing rose like Rambling Rector. Is this a good choice? I would
like a spikey plant which will grows quite quickly but doesnt end up
looking like a huge gorse hedge!

I am a keen but useless gardener. To cover a wall would i plant one
little plant and then let it spread out over the whole wall, or plant
a series of plants?

Thanks for any advice
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 PM
H Ryder

What about pyrocanthia (firethorn)? This is an evergreen very spiky bush
which can easily be trained to grow up a fence, has very pretty berries
(red, orange or yellow) in autumn and white flowers in spring. It is more
self supporting than a rose so will not pull your fence further over.
Hayley

Old 11-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Lol

Hi

I am not sure I approve of what you plan - but it is easy for me, I don't
have the problem :-)

I have just the thing for you - but sadly I don't know it's name. It is a
tall bush/shrub - mine is about 8ft high, has almost circular leaves about
the size of a 10p piece, which start off green but soon turn a beautiful
purple/maroon colour. Hidden along it's brances are some really nasty 3/4
inch spikes, which used to catch me out regularly until I bought some
thicker gloves.

Can anyone help me to put a name to this please ?

regards Lol

Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Sacha

On 11/9/05 23:15, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

Hi

I am not sure I approve of what you plan - but it is easy for me, I don't
have the problem :-)

I have just the thing for you - but sadly I don't know it's name. It is a
tall bush/shrub - mine is about 8ft high, has almost circular leaves about
the size of a 10p piece, which start off green but soon turn a beautiful
purple/maroon colour. Hidden along it's brances are some really nasty 3/4
inch spikes, which used to catch me out regularly until I bought some
thicker gloves.

Can anyone help me to put a name to this please ?

snip

A Berberis?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Bob Smith

wrote in message
[...]

How about barbed wire? Will perform the required function immidiately until
the rose matures.

Bob

Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Andy

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

If you want something that grows quickly, I'd go for a climbing rose,
they can motor away. Trouble is you'll be reining them in forever
after. I know of Kiftsgate and Seagull as two roses that are big
and probably thorny too.
The Rugosa roses tend to be fiendishly thorny, but the only one of
any
height I can find is 'Sarah Van Fleet', supposedly capable of 8 feet+ in
height. The rugosas tend to be very suitable for hedging.

Andy.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Spider

wrote in message
[...]

Hi Richard,

I sympathise with your situation. I have a 120' Pyracantha hedge which does
the trick for me, and may be suitable for you. Mine certainly repels
invaders, but is also much admired by friendlier neighbours.

If you still decide to grow a climbing rose, that's fine, but don't choose
Rambling Rector - it is a *huge* rose. It would be like taking a rocket to
the corner shop when a bus would do. You want a solution, not another
problem. I am very fond of Rosa 'Compassion' which grows to approx. 10'.
Although it is taller than your 6' boundary, it would allow you to dead-head
and prune the rose without dropping below your 6' height requirement. It
is, perhaps, not the prickliest of roses, but I still have to take care when
handling mine. It is a soft peach-pink with a hint of apricot in the newer
blooms.

There is another rose - Rosa sericea pteracantha (sp?) - which is massively
thorny! It is a biggish rose, though. Not sure of the height, but it grows
like razor-wire on steroids. It has white single flowers, but is mainly
grown (indeed, recommended) for its thorns where a burglar deterrent is
sought. Research it, if you fancy it, to discover its height, but don't
take it on unless you have a stout heart and stouter gloves.

Spider

Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM
cineman

Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.
You could plant the Sloe, which has wonderful hidden spikes, these can be
trained as semi standard and wound round trellis, again you have a fruit to
use so both have 2 values.
I suppose, being boring, you could paint trellis with antivandal paint,
which doesnt dry and leaves a sticky mess on stray fingers?
regards
Cineman

Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Jupiter

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:36:29 GMT, "cineman"
wrote:

Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.
You could plant the Sloe, which has wonderful hidden spikes, these can be
trained as semi standard and wound round trellis, again you have a fruit to
use so both have 2 values.
I suppose, being boring, you could paint trellis with antivandal paint,
which doesnt dry and leaves a sticky mess on stray fingers?
regards
Cineman

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, the Sloe, or Blackthorn, is a good idea. The spikes are vicious,
well concealed and anything up to 2 or 3 inches long. You can make
sloe gin with the berries, and with the wood as they mature you can
make walking sticks, shillelaghs and cudgels which you may need for
self-defence when your neighbour has been stabbed a few times.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:09 PM
cineman

Hi,
A useful site for recipes for sloe gin
http://www.liqueurweb.com/sloe.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...gin_7722.shtml this site has
numerous recipes for all sorts of garden produce

Hadnt thought about the need for cudgels
regards
Cineman

wrote:

Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.
You could plant the Sloe, which has wonderful hidden spikes, these can be
trained as semi standard and wound round trellis, again you have a fruit
use so both have 2 values.
I suppose, being boring, you could paint trellis with antivandal paint,
which doesnt dry and leaves a sticky mess on stray fingers?
regards
Cineman

. ..

Old 12-09-2005, 08:16 PM
JennyC

"cineman" wrote in message
. uk...
Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.

snipped

Yeah, but the "chav's" will probably pinch them all :~(
Jenny

Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Sally Holmes

Sacha wrote:

Now I think of it, don't the police have a list of plants designed to
deter intruders or did I dream this?

I think berberis must come high up the list. The thorns are incredibly
sharp, they break off in your flesh and fester, and they last for years in
the soil.

Sally

Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sally Holmes wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Now I think of it, don't the police have a list of plants designed to
deter intruders or did I dream this?

I think berberis must come high up the list. The thorns are incredibly
sharp, they break off in your flesh and fester, and they last for years in
the soil.

Berberis vary between being as you describe, and less thorny than
gorse. It depends on the species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2005, 05:06 AM
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:
"cineman" wrote
Train blackberries along the top trellis, very much a deterrent, and the
added bonus of those delicious blackberry and apple pie's.

snipped

Yeah, but the "chav's" will probably pinch them all :~(
Jenny

Now I think of it, don't the police have a list of plants designed to deter
intruders or did I dream this?
Sacha

No dream Sacha:
http://www.northants.police.uk/defau...rticle&ID=2036