Old 14-09-2005, 08:20 AM
chris thame

Default Brambles everywhere!

I have a hawthorn hedge one side and leylandi the other. I have
brambles growing both sides. Is there anything I can paint on the
leaves to kill them right back to the root? Im fed up of getting
caught up in the bloody things when cutting the hedge!
Old 14-09-2005, 11:25 AM
cineman

Hi,
If still available you could use tumbleweed gel ( which glyphosate base)
which is painted on the leaves with small brush provided, but it will take
time to work down to the roots as it is systemic, also you will be left with
dried shoots to clear after some weeks.
there is also a touchweeder available .
Both these mean spot treating just the brambles and not risking overspray.
These also work on convulvulus or bindweed.
May need retreating after a while for new growth but is effective.
The first sign of it working with brambles is the leaves die back from the
edges then the top growth will turn yellow and the whole shoot will die back
down the stem.
Hope this is of some help
regards
Cineman

Old 14-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from chris thame contains these words:

I have a hawthorn hedge one side and leylandi the other. I have
brambles growing both sides. Is there anything I can paint on the
leaves to kill them right back to the root? Im fed up of getting
caught up in the bloody things when cutting the hedge!

Mix up some glyphosate and wallpaper paste and paint it on the youngest
leaves and shoots.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-09-2005, 03:23 PM
chris thame

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go

brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 09:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 01:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 12:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 12:12 AM
Killing Brambles Barbara B United Kingdom 9 30-12-2002 12:08 PM