Old 15-09-2005, 03:41 PM
T i m

Default Pruning my runners?

Hi All,

So, the 8' wall of green that is my first attempt at gardening since a
kid is still producing beans (18 plants) ;-)

Mum just requested another batch (Dad's favourite veg) to split with
my Sister (she can't belive I'm growing stuff either) and I've just
picked another carrier bag full of not so big (non stringy or beany)
ones ;-)

So, should I do anything to 'thin out' the foliage / stawks etc now
please (there are still some flowers happening at the top) as it's
getting difficult to find anything in there (some of the lost beans
are the size of cucumbers)!

All the best ..

T i m

Old 15-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"T i m" wrote
So, the 8' wall of green that is my first attempt at gardening since a
kid is still producing beans (18 plants) ;-)

Mum just requested another batch (Dad's favourite veg) to split with
my Sister (she can't belive I'm growing stuff either) and I've just
picked another carrier bag full of not so big (non stringy or beany)
ones ;-)

So, should I do anything to 'thin out' the foliage / stawks etc now
please (there are still some flowers happening at the top) as it's
getting difficult to find anything in there (some of the lost beans
are the size of cucumbers)!

We just let them get on with it, after all it's getting late in the season
and they won't crop much longer anyway.
If you want to you may be able to keep the roots overwinter, either by
leaving them in the ground covered by a mulch or if in a cold part of the UK
by treating them in the old Dahlia way, dig them up and store in moist sand
in a dark frost free place.
Most of us regrow from seed each year because it's easier.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-09-2005, 05:42 PM
T i m

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:08:44 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

So, should I do anything to 'thin out' the foliage / stawks etc now
please (there are still some flowers happening at the top) as it's
getting difficult to find anything in there (some of the lost beans
are the size of cucumbers)!

We just let them get on with it, after all it's getting late in the season
and they won't crop much longer anyway.

Ok .. ;-(

If you want to you may be able to keep the roots overwinter, either by
leaving them in the ground covered by a mulch or if in a cold part of the UK
by treating them in the old Dahlia way, dig them up and store in moist sand
in a dark frost free place.

That sounds like I have to do something ;-(

Most of us regrow from seed each year because it's easier.

That was my hope (partly for the fun of it) .. but the missus decided
to help herself to *my* beans the other day and picked the ones I had
set-aside for 'beaning' (then she said she had 'thrown some away'
doh!) ;-(

Still have a few big / beany ones left hiding round the back so we
should be ok ;-)

All the best ..

T i m