Old 18-09-2005, 08:55 PM
fifijojo

Default pruning a pear tree

Anyone know if there are any general pruning tips for pear trees or does it
depend on the type of tree you have ?

Fifi

Old 19-09-2005, 12:59 PM
J Jackson

fifijojo wrote:
: Anyone know if there are any general pruning tips for pear trees or does it
: depend on the type of tree you have ?

I've always treated them like non-tip bearing apple trees.

Summer prune to make fruiting spurs and winter prune for shape and growth.

I'm not sure if there any tip bearing pears? None of mine are.

Jim

Old 19-09-2005, 08:19 PM
fifijojo

Um,
what's tip bearing ?

Old 21-09-2005, 02:44 PM
J Jackson

fifijojo wrote:
: Um,
: what's tip bearing ?

It's where the fruiting buds (as opposed to leave buds) are on the ends of
the twigs, therefore if you prune you chop off the buds that will give you
fruit :-(

: "J Jackson" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old 21-09-2005, 09:27 PM
cliff_the_gardener

Hi
Pruning as for apples is ok, What kind of tree shape are you trying to
achieve?

Clifford

Advice on pruning young apple, pear and medlar trees for a newcomer MaxDread United Kingdom 4 16-03-2017 09:37 AM
Pruning dead branches off pear trees, good idea or not? [email protected] United Kingdom 4 30-07-2015 03:53 PM
pruning young pear trees jonperry United Kingdom 8 31-05-2004 02:08 AM
Pruning a Bradford Pear Barry Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM