Old 21-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Plant ID please

Can anyone identify the plant (or is it a weed?) in attached photos. I
suspect it may be a member of the (hardy) geranium family. The root system
is very similar and the leaves are also similar (although smaller) to some
of the varied geraniums in the same bed. However it doesn't seem to flower
and wraps itself around any other plant it can.

As well as identifying it, I would also like help with getting rid of it -
the roots travel a long way and when I try to pull them out, of course they
break off!!

Thanks for any help

Jeanne

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed002.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed003.jpg

Old 21-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Jeanne
Stockdale writes
Can anyone identify the plant (or is it a weed?) in attached photos. I
suspect it may be a member of the (hardy) geranium family. The root system
is very similar and the leaves are also similar (although smaller) to some
of the varied geraniums in the same bed. However it doesn't seem to flower
and wraps itself around any other plant it can.

As well as identifying it, I would also like help with getting rid of it -
the roots travel a long way and when I try to pull them out, of course they
break off!!

Thanks for any help

Jeanne

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed002.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed003.jpg

The unusual context (i.e. pulled up) interferes with the plant
identification neural network, but I think that it's creeping cinquefoil
(Potentilla reptans).

I only got the one look at the first photo before your bandwidth quota
filled. An alternative would be trailing tormentil (Potentilla anglica)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-09-2005, 08:27 PM
ned

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Can anyone identify the plant (or is it a weed?) in attached photos.

suspect it may be a member of the (hardy) geranium family. The root

system
is very similar and the leaves are also similar (although smaller)

to some
of the varied geraniums in the same bed. However it doesn't seem to

flower
and wraps itself around any other plant it can.

As well as identifying it, I would also like help with getting rid

of it -
the roots travel a long way and when I try to pull them out, of

course they
break off!!

Thanks for any help

Jeanne

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed002.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...nesweed003.jpg

Yes, I'd go for Creeping Cinquefoil, too.
There are some geranium leaves showing bottom left and top right of
the 003.jpg but they are not truly similar to the cinqefoil.
Getting rid? If it is in a flower bed, patience, diligence and
tenacity.
Remove as much as you can, whenever you can.
....... Or, you could treat that bed as a wild flower area.
;-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk