Old 26-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Geoff

Default Fuchsia problem

Last year the leaves on the branches on one of our fuchsia's (it's not near
any others) started shrivelling up progressively long before the end of
autumn. We decided not to get shot of it then but would wait till spring to
see if it was dead.

We cut back the dead branches in the winter and were most surprised at the
plant's rapid growth and marvellous flowering this year.

However, this last week the leaves on two branches are shrivelling and I
expect the whole plant to be affected soon.

Does anybody know what the problem is please?

Geoff

Old 26-09-2005, 02:45 PM
shazzbat

"Geoff" wrote in message
Last year the leaves on the branches on one of our fuchsia's (it's not

near
any others) started shrivelling up progressively long before the end of
autumn. We decided not to get shot of it then but would wait till spring

see if it was dead.

We cut back the dead branches in the winter and were most surprised at the
plant's rapid growth and marvellous flowering this year.

However, this last week the leaves on two branches are shrivelling and I
expect the whole plant to be affected soon.

Does anybody know what the problem is please?

Geoff

It seems to me that there is no problem. It's just doing what the others do,
but earlier. Do what you did last year, and the plant will probably follow
suit.

Steve

Old 26-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Geoff" wrote in message
Last year the leaves on the branches on one of our fuchsia's (it's not

near
any others) started shrivelling up progressively long before the end of
autumn. We decided not to get shot of it then but would wait till spring

see if it was dead.

We cut back the dead branches in the winter and were most surprised at the
plant's rapid growth and marvellous flowering this year.

However, this last week the leaves on two branches are shrivelling and I
expect the whole plant to be affected soon.

Does anybody know what the problem is please?

Geoff

The top growth of fuchsia is very sensitive to cold, some varieties will
keep a stem structure while losing their leaves, more sorts will spring anew
from below ground while some really lovely sorts have to be protected to
survive. yours is just a wee bit more sensitive than your others or maybe it
gets a cold draught, either way its getting ready for winter.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Fuchsia - Fuchsia-firecracker-throwback.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-Firecracker.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia problem help please Broadback United Kingdom 0 21-07-2007 12:52 PM
Fuchsia paul United Kingdom 2 12-03-2003 05:32 PM
PNW help - Fuchsia procumbens and Jasminum nudiflorum sam Gardening 3 05-02-2003 07:29 PM