Old 30-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default ostespermum cuttings worth it?

Is it worth taking cuttings from ostespermum to get through winter? I
know I might be able to get the plants through but wondered if they
would be better taking cuttings and getting them through with a little
heat.

Not sure about seed, so wondered about the cuttings. Plenty on plants at
the moment!!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
Is it worth taking cuttings from ostespermum to get through winter? I know
I might be able to get the plants through but wondered if they would be
better taking cuttings and getting them through with a little heat.

Not sure about seed, so wondered about the cuttings. Plenty on plants at
the moment!!

Being a Belt and Braces type of guy I would certainly take some cuttings,
don't let them stay wet, keep them on the dry side during the cold months.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 30-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
Is it worth taking cuttings from ostespermum to get through winter? I

know
I might be able to get the plants through but wondered if they would be
better taking cuttings and getting them through with a little heat.

Not sure about seed, so wondered about the cuttings. Plenty on plants at
the moment!!

Being a Belt and Braces type of guy I would certainly take some cuttings,
don't let them stay wet, keep them on the dry side during the cold months.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

If you look at the lower stems many of them will already have roots on which
should speed things up.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-09-2005, 02:58 PM
pammyT

I have osteospermums here and have never done anything to them. Each
year the clump just gets bigger and bigger and this year I'm simply
going to pull up some stems which rooted and shove them elsewhere in
the garden.
Why would you need to take cuttings if they come back every year?

Old 30-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Brian

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Is it worth taking cuttings from ostespermum to get through winter? I
know I might be able to get the plants through but wondered if they
would be better taking cuttings and getting them through with a little
heat.

Not sure about seed, so wondered about the cuttings. Plenty on plants at
the moment!!

janet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Osteospermum is only marginally hardy. It has only survived winters for
the last few winters. A real winter will destroy even the hardiest forms.
The latest forecast is for an old-fashioned winter this year, so rooted
cuttings must be kept frost free~~ just in case.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 30-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Bob Hobden

"pammyT" wrote I have osteospermums here and have never done anything to
them. Each
year the clump just gets bigger and bigger and this year I'm simply
going to pull up some stems which rooted and shove them elsewhere in
the garden.
Why would you need to take cuttings if they come back every year?

Because for most of us in the UK they don't.
Even for me most perish, only the purple ones seem to live through a winter.