Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Phil L

Default germinating lawn seed in a bag

Someone mentioned this earlier this year, I have a few bad patches on the
lawn and so I have placed a few handfuls of grass seed into a bag of moist
compost to germinate so that it will take root more easily when spread, I
gather it will also prevent birds etc from eating it.
What I want to know is, how long will it take to germinate?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Harold Walker

"Phil L" wrote in message
o.uk...
Someone mentioned this earlier this year, I have a few bad patches on the
lawn and so I have placed a few handfuls of grass seed into a bag of moist
compost to germinate so that it will take root more easily when spread, I
gather it will also prevent birds etc from eating it.
What I want to know is, how long will it take to germinate?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Depends mainly on the temperature but no big deal....just look at it after
three days or so and then every day thereafter.....works well....the only
way I repair patches...H

Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Someone mentioned this earlier this year, I have a few bad patches on the
lawn and so I have placed a few handfuls of grass seed into a bag of moist
compost to germinate so that it will take root more easily when spread, I
gather it will also prevent birds etc from eating it.
What I want to know is, how long will it take to germinate?

I posted that you could damp used and dried-out tabags and sow the seed
on them, then use them as 'implants'.

I wouldn't think germinating them in damp compost would prevent the
birds from taking an interest - by the time they got to that stage
they'd be turning to compost themselves, I'd have thought.

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Phil L

Janet Baraclough wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::
::: Someone mentioned this earlier this year, I have a few bad patches on
::: the lawn and so I have placed a few handfuls of grass seed into a bag
::: of moist compost to germinate so that it will take root more easily
::: when spread, I gather it will also prevent birds etc from eating it.
::: What I want to know is, how long will it take to germinate?
::
:: Isn't it a bit late for sowing grass this year? Frosts forecast etc.
::
:: Janet.

I asked this very question last week, although it doesn't seem to be visible
now...

Phil L wrote:
Today I scarified my lawn, I got out quite a lot of dead grass and
moss, but in some places I ripped the grass up in small sheets,
underneath were lots of leatherjackets (daddylong legs larvae?) -
some parts of it look barely alive given the recent plague of these
insects we have had in this part of the country...anyway, my question
is regarding lawn seed - if I sow it now, will it get chance to
germinate before winter sets in? - we are in a well sheltered spot
and get full sun most of the day, however the ground is quite wet
most of the time as we are also in a dip.

Mike Lyle wrote:

Yes, it's daddy-long-legs time! Raking will expose the
leatherjackets, and we hope the natural predators will do their
stuff. I've never done it, but watering and leaving covered with
plastic sheet overnight should also bring them to the surface to be
dealt with next day -- I suppose you treat a different area every
evening, unless you own a plastic sheet factory! Presumably rain
would remove the need for the sheet.

On the main question, yes, it's fine to sow grass seed now -- I've
done it in late October.

The box of lawn seed says up to mid October!

It's still quite warm down here in Lancs yet, most days are still in the
high teens to low twenties, nights have dipped as low as 5 once up to now,
but our garden is very sheltered on the North side and gets full sun.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Harold Walker

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Someone mentioned this earlier this year, I have a few bad patches on the
lawn and so I have placed a few handfuls of grass seed into a bag of
moist
compost to germinate so that it will take root more easily when spread, I
gather it will also prevent birds etc from eating it.
What I want to know is, how long will it take to germinate?

Isn't it a bit late for sowing grass this year? Frosts forecast etc.

Janet.

Not on your life...a little biddy widdy frost will not harm....H

Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Harold Walker

::
:: Isn't it a bit late for sowing grass this year? Frosts forecast etc.
::
:: Janet.

Mike Lyle wrote:

..

On the main question, yes, it's fine to sow grass seed now -- I've
done it in late October.

and.........I have sown in mid January on top of the snow and it germinated
fine in the spring....as the snow melts it 'sorta' open up the ground for
the seed to sink in a wee bit.....of course if you dont get snow?????

Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Isn't it a bit late for sowing grass this year? Frosts forecast etc.

No. Some grasses' seeds are still in the heads.

I sowed some last week. We shall see.

--
Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
No. Some grasses' seeds are still in the heads.

Ah, these sailors! An interesting variant on the bag-of-compost
technique, I suppose.

--
Mike.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Paul

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:10:31 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Isn't it a bit late for sowing grass this year? Frosts forecast etc.

No. Some grasses' seeds are still in the heads.

I sowed some last week. We shall see.

The local builders have just this week sowed several acres of sports
field. I'll be watching with interest the result.

I put down 170M2 of seed last July, I have a beautifully thick green
lawn now, hope it stays that way.

Paul

To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
Germinating Canna Lilly Seed Larry Stoter United Kingdom 7 01-08-2005 12:00 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM
Non-germinating bird seed. Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 21-04-2003 01:33 PM