Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered User

Cool Problems with Thuja Smaragd

I planted five of these conifers in mid july and they seemed to be doing quite well. However the the start of this month they started to show signs of browning of the foliage, not all over but in patches. Some of this foliage has been shed the majority is still a healthy looking dark green. Any imput would be gratefully recieved.

Am a new member and a new gardener so I am looking forward to reading and posting more in the future.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr
I planted five of these conifers in mid july and they seemed to be doing quite well. However the the start of this month they started to show signs of browning of the foliage, not all over but in patches. Some of this foliage has been shed the majority is still a healthy looking dark green. Any imput would be gratefully recieved.

Am a new member and a new gardener so I am looking forward to reading and posting more in the future.
Assuming the trees were potted and not bare root, did you tease out the root system upon planting and if your soil type is very different from what they were grown in, did you compromise by making a mix of both types in the planting hole?

I assume you watered well and no fires or sprays got near them. Also, I hope you didn't add too much fertilizer in the planting hole.

The trees could be under stress trying to get established as it is happening to all five.

If what I think is correct, perhaps a remedy is to lift and replant. The trees are young and October should be kind enough for this action.

Just my tuppence worth!

Regards,

Fred.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELSTOWN
Assuming the trees were potted and not bare root, did you tease out the root system upon planting and if your soil type is very different from what they were grown in, did you compromise by making a mix of both types in the planting hole?

I assume you watered well and no fires or sprays got near them. Also, I hope you didn't add too much fertilizer in the planting hole.

The trees could be under stress trying to get established as it is happening to all five.

If what I think is correct, perhaps a remedy is to lift and replant. The trees are young and October should be kind enough for this action.

Just my tuppence worth!

Regards,

Fred.
Thanks for the prompt reply to my post

I wish I had found this forum earlier i would have posted before and seen what i needed to do.

Tuppence worth used to be quite a lot in the days of tuppences

Cheers Bob