Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Paul

Default Thuja blackened leaves

Sorry if this message has been duplicated - I have just read the FAQ
on the etiquette of posting photos in newsgroups!

Could anyone tell me why the leaves on my Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd,
have blackened. It appears to be just on one side and near the bottom
of the tree, which is about 1.3 metre tall and soil planted.
I have posted a photo of the tree at;
http://www.zyworld.com/pauldreed/index.htm

Help please - This my favourite conifer!

Paul

Old 11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Zizz

"Paul" wrote in message
Sorry if this message has been duplicated - I have just read the FAQ
on the etiquette of posting photos in newsgroups!

Could anyone tell me why the leaves on my Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd,
have blackened. It appears to be just on one side and near the bottom
of the tree, which is about 1.3 metre tall and soil planted.
I have posted a photo of the tree at;
http://www.zyworld.com/pauldreed/index.htm

Help please - This my favourite conifer!

Paul

Could it be an animal doing this ... as in spraying that part of the tree?
I'm no expert but I'd remove the affected parts though.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Paul

It is possible, but I havn't seen any cats/dogs around it.

On Sun, 11 May 2003 19:06:49 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

.. .

Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Zizz

Ahhh but that's when you're awake!
Plus it doesn't need to be pets .. it could be a wild animal marking
territory.
However most of that kind of marking would tend to turn the greenery brown
rather than black.
Is the blackened bits sooty like ... such as a fungus or it could be
chemical too strong a fertiliser sprayed in that area or plantkiller... am
grasping here.
In any case either animal, chemical or disease ... I would still recomend
cutting the affected part away and disposing of rather than composting just
in case it is the latter of the three.
I'm guessing the only real way you'd know is if you sent a sample off to a
laboratory for analysis which wouldn't be cheap!

"Paul" wrote in message
news
It is possible, but I havn't seen any cats/dogs around it.

On Sun, 11 May 2003 19:06:49 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

.. .

Old 13-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Paul

Thanks, I will cut away the affected area, and see if it re-occurs.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 20:03:41 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

Ahhh but that's when you're awake!
Plus it doesn't need to be pets .. it could be a wild animal marking
territory.
However most of that kind of marking would tend to turn the greenery brown
rather than black.
Is the blackened bits sooty like ... such as a fungus or it could be
chemical too strong a fertiliser sprayed in that area or plantkiller... am
grasping here.
In any case either animal, chemical or disease ... I would still recomend
cutting the affected part away and disposing of rather than composting just
in case it is the latter of the three.
I'm guessing the only real way you'd know is if you sent a sample off to a
laboratory for analysis which wouldn't be cheap!

"Paul" wrote in message
news
It is possible, but I havn't seen any cats/dogs around it.

On Sun, 11 May 2003 19:06:49 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

.. .