Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Jeff Allen

Default Cherry tree distance from property

There's a Wild Cherry tree about 7m (23') away from my property and
probably about the same height too.

Is this distance too close for this type of tree? The soil type around
here is predominately clay. Also, will regular pruning stop the roots
from spreading any further?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jeff
Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
H Ryder

we've just chopped down an apple tree on advice from surveyor. He said that
the roots usually spread as far as the branches. He also said that root
pruning used to be thought of as working but that actually the tree can
actually grow more if the roots are pruned which seemed to make sense as
pruning the top certainly tends to encourage growth rather than restrict it.
However our tree was very close and very high. Yours sounds more like a
borderline case to me. --
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 07-10-2005, 07:55 PM
cineman

Rule of thumb is that roots extend the same distance as height of tree
but beware as cherry roots can be very shallow and will certainly upset any
paving it grows underneath.
regards
Cineman

Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jeff Allen
writes
There's a Wild Cherry tree about 7m (23') away from my property and
probably about the same height too.

Is this distance too close for this type of tree? The soil type around
here is predominately clay. Also, will regular pruning stop the roots
from spreading any further?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jeff

For what it's worth, we had a cherry tree (wild) in our front garden
about 10 foot from the lounge window and directly over the top of the
main drainage system. It decided to die last year so we had to take it
down but it had been there for presumably 40 - 50 years without a
problem. We are on clay

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 07-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
cineman wrote:
Rule of thumb is that roots extend the same distance as height of tree
but beware as cherry roots can be very shallow and will certainly upset any
paving it grows underneath.

And there are cherries and cherries - some are small trees, and some
are not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.