Old 17-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Josie

Default NEW PAVING AND BRICK BOUNDARY WALL

Can anyone help?

I'm concerned about shrubs roots damaging a newly paved drive and new
brick boundary wall. Can anyone recommend a few safe shrubs and perhaps
some planting distances?

Many thanks, Joe

Old 21-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:51:38 GMT, Josie
wrote:

Can anyone help?

I'm concerned about shrubs roots damaging a newly paved drive and new
brick boundary wall. Can anyone recommend a few safe shrubs and perhaps
some planting distances?

Many thanks, Joe

As you haven't yet had any replies, here's my hap'orth. In general,
it's tree roots that cause serious problems with drives, wall
foundations etc. Most small to medium sized shrubs (say up to 6ft
high) won't cause any problems. As a rough guide, plant them expecting
as much spread as the eventual height. Ie if the shrub is going to
reach 4ft high, anticipate roughly a 4ft spread, and plant 2ft from
the edge of the drive or in front of the wall. Another generality is
that root-spread is roughly the same as that of the top growth, so the
above distances are also OK on that basis.

--
Chris

Old 31-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Josie

Message from Chris Hogg on Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:11:22

wrote:

Can anyone help?

I'm concerned about shrubs roots damaging a newly paved drive and new
brick boundary wall. Can anyone recommend a few safe shrubs and perhaps
some planting distances?

Many thanks, Joe

As you haven't yet had any replies, here's my hap'orth. In general,
it's tree roots that cause serious problems with drives, wall
foundations etc. Most small to medium sized shrubs (say up to 6ft
high) won't cause any problems. As a rough guide, plant them expecting
as much spread as the eventual height. Ie if the shrub is going to
reach 4ft high, anticipate roughly a 4ft spread, and plant 2ft from
the edge of the drive or in front of the wall. Another generality is
that root-spread is roughly the same as that of the top growth, so the
above distances are also OK on that basis.

Many thanks, very helpful.

Regards, Joe