Old 18-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Gilly

Default Ground Nest

I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border, but
the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry hole at
the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest? Or a
hedgehog?

Old 18-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Geoff

"Gilly" wrote in message
news
I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border, but
the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry hole at
the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest? Or a
hedgehog?

How big is the mound?

Old 18-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Gilly" contains these words:

I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border, but
the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry hole at
the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest? Or a
hedgehog?

It would help if you said how big it was, its shape, whether it was
woven or just losely piled, the size of the hole, and importantly, where
you are.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-10-2005, 07:22 PM
nambucca

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Gilly" contains these words:

I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border,

but
the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry hole

at
the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest? Or a
hedgehog?

It wont be rats they push out piles of soil

I will lay odds on it being a hedgehog

Old 18-10-2005, 08:23 PM
cineman

"Gilly" wrote in message
news
I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border, but
the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry hole at
the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest? Or a
hedgehog
Would ask ifyou had skylarks around, but just remembered they nest in open
ground.
depending on size, it could be hedgehog or even shrews if small, and they
are are our friends.
regards
Cineman

Old 18-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Phil L

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Gilly" contains these words:
::
::: I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border,
::: but the nest is empty. It's a mound of crocosmia leaves with an entry
::: hole at the front. As I say, it's empty but could it be a rat's nest?
::: Or a hedgehog?
::
:: It would help if you said how big it was, its shape, whether it was
:: woven or just losely piled, the size of the hole, and importantly, where
:: you are.

Manchester judging by the IP address.
Looking at crocosmia on google, I would say that it's unlikely to be a bird
(too low) unlikely to be a hedgehog or rat so I'll guess at it being either
a shrew or mouse and I'm leaning 90% towards the mouse.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 19-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Would ask ifyou had skylarks around, but just remembered they nest in open
ground.

And in a saucer-shaped depression not a mound of leaves.

depending on size, it could be hedgehog or even shrews if small, and they
are are our friends.

Sounds mammal-like to me.

Or a bumble bee.

Old 19-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message k
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I'm leaning 90% towards the mouse.

Mind you don't topple over and crush the poor little mite.

Janet
Old 19-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Gilly

"Gilly" wrote in message
news
I've just found a sort of nest on the ground at the back of my border,

but
the nest is empty.

It's a hedgehog!! I just went out and had a dig about at the mound, and
there it was. I think I woke it up, because it snarled at me -- well, it
sort of snorted heavily at me, so I ran away in double quick time!

It had burrowed down in the soil, under the mound of leaves, which was why I
thought the nest was empty.