Old 22-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Alan Holmes

Default GARDENING BOOKS

"martin" wrote in message
On 22 Oct 2005 04:02:59 -0700, "La puce" wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Zut alors, how many zillion times do I have to say this, stop talking
about my post you rude woman,

Not bad! You see, with a bit of an effort the world around you can be
fun.

:~0

Ho. I wouldn't worry. The wind has already turned for you grin

I thought the rumble was thunder.

I've been having a lot of trouble with wind in the southern regions!

Any ideas how to stop it?

Alan

--
Martin

Old 22-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I thought the rumble was thunder.

I've been having a lot of trouble with wind in the southern regions!

Any ideas how to stop it?

Ask in uk.rec.winemaking, they'll tell you how to insert a cork.

HTH

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Alan Holmes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I thought the rumble was thunder.

I've been having a lot of trouble with wind in the southern regions!

Any ideas how to stop it?

Ask in uk.rec.winemaking, they'll tell you how to insert a cork.

I doubt that would stop it, the pressure is far to high!

Alan

HTH

Old 22-10-2005, 11:30 PM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Go to a builders' merchant and buy some shuttering grade ply, that's
cheap, and doesn't come apart. Most yards will cut it to size for you.

My gawd! Were you sitting in my dining room tonight?! That's what my
friend suggested. But I thought shuttering grade ply was low grade and
therefore the whole treating thing, polythene etc... I find
complicated. I wanted sleepers pout

You'll need to treat it with something to prevent it from rotting, but
it should last a very long time as long as you line the soil side with
black polythene (damp-course) membrane (also from a builders' merchant).
You can even make large-ish holes in it (eclectic drill and a

hole-saw)
and have strawberries growing on the face of the board - (partially)
defeats the thieving birds, and keeps the fruit from the attention of
slugs.

Now that is very cunning, for the birds. But I fail to see how the
slugs will ignore it. Remember that 'nose' they've got. You've given me
some more ideas though )

Old 23-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Go to a builders' merchant and buy some shuttering grade ply, that's
cheap, and doesn't come apart. Most yards will cut it to size for you.

My gawd! Were you sitting in my dining room tonight?! That's what my
friend suggested.

When discussing such matters it is always advisable to wear an allyhat
to prevent the rays from escaping. Rays radiate from your Brian and some
of them slip down the back of your sofa and escape into Shedspace, where
Sheddi with sensitive antennae and not wearing their allyhats are
looking down the backs of *THEIR* sofas (searching for their Stanley
knives, usually) and your every thought is known to them. HTH

But I thought shuttering grade ply was low grade and
therefore the whole treating thing, polythene etc... I find
complicated. I wanted sleepers pout

No, it's not so pretty as the more expensive stuff, and not birch,
beech, oak or tropical hardwood-faced, and it might be made from cheaper
woods, and sometimes even it is just ordinary marine or exterior grade
rejects. The bonding is waterproof.

Buy a can of something - I'm sure some Urgler will know a suitable
product - (in the Shed we use Creomite, but that's another story) and
just paint it on.

The membrane is just the thick polythene sheet which builders lay
beneath concrete floors to prevent rising damp. After treating the ply,
cut the polythene just a bit wider than your ply, curl it over the
bottom and tack in place, putting the polythene on the soil side, of
course.

You'll need to treat it with something to prevent it from rotting, but
it should last a very long time as long as you line the soil side with
black polythene (damp-course) membrane (also from a builders' merchant).
You can even make large-ish holes in it (eclectic drill and a

hole-saw)
and have strawberries growing on the face of the board - (partially)
defeats the thieving birds, and keeps the fruit from the attention of
slugs.

Now that is very cunning, for the birds. But I fail to see how the
slugs will ignore it. Remember that 'nose' they've got. You've given me
some more ideas though )

They just don't 'happen upon' them, and you can surround each plant with
a ring of stripped old copper cable if you want. Actually, in the barrel
I used to have (ordinary strawberries in the holes in the side and
alpines in the top) the slugs never bothered them.

If you're going to use a barrel BTW, for watering, it pays to get a
length of plastic drainpipe and drill small holes in it, all the way
down, with more holes at the top than the bottom. Find a plastic bottle
which fits round it (with the top cut off, of course) and lash it on
tightly. Put this contraption down to the level of the lowest
strawberries and pack the soil in round it.