GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Honey fungus? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108347-honey-fungus.html)

Nick Maclaren 24-10-2005 05:28 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
Jim writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| Need to go and try to dispose of it all then!
|
| Why?
|
| My thinking was that removing it would at least stop it spreading spores
| and might weaken it? Would I be wasting my time?

Yes :-)

The bit you see is the fruiting body, and removing it doesn't
weaken it at all. While it would stop it spreading spores, it
is not very infectious from spores and the spores are everywhere
in most of the UK. It MIGHT reduce the chances of infection,
but I haven't heard that it does, at least significantly.

The best way to weaken it is to remove all infected wood that
is close to the surface. It does not thrive well on deep roots.
But even that is of marginal benefit, traditional though the
advice is.

Don't bother with toxins to kill it. You would need to soak
the ground to the depth of 2+' with seriously nasty substances.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jim 24-10-2005 05:50 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
says...
Would I be wasting my time?

Yes :-)

OK - that's another job I can cross off my list! :)

--
Jim

sam 26-10-2005 08:12 PM

Honey fungus?

Jim wrote:

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

--
Jim

Have you tried Armillatox ?

Sam.