GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Honey fungus? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108347-honey-fungus.html)

Jim 23-10-2005 02:40 PM

Honey fungus?

Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

--
Jim

Emrys Davies 23-10-2005 03:04 PM

Honey fungus?

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

--
Jim

This site
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techni...ney_fungus.htm
should help you identify it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Kay 23-10-2005 03:48 PM

Honey fungus?

In article , Jim
writes
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

You've got at least two different species there, haven't you?

It would help if we could have a pic of the underside too. Gill colour
and the way it attaches to the stem is important.
--
Kay

Jim 23-10-2005 04:20 PM

Honey fungus?

In article , says...
should help you identify it.

Thanks Emrys - I've read many sites but none has enabled me to identify
the fungus with any confidence.

--
Jim

Jim 23-10-2005 05:10 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
says...
You've got at least two different species there, haven't you?

I put it down to different stages of growth, but you may well be right.
The ones that have sprung up around a live tree have a more rounded cap
(?).

It would help if we could have a pic of the underside too. Gill colour
and the way it attaches to the stem is important.

I've also uploaded some pix of the undersides - does it help you
identify it?

Emrys Davies 23-10-2005 06:28 PM

Honey fungus?

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

Jim, Honey fungus is reputed to glow in the dark as per this article:

"Does Honey Fungus Glow in the dark?
Astonishingly yes it does!

Aristotle wrote about this
In medieval times they lit hay barns with clusters of rhizomorphs and
roots covered with rhizomorphs were considered to have medical power.
These were the original magic wands.
Soldiers in World War 1 put pieces of decaying wood on their helmets;
the glow helped them avoid comrades in nighttime trenches.
In World War 2 fire wardens covered timber stacks to prevent enemy
aircraft spotting them.
Keeping the wood moist (but not saturated) and at a temperature of
between 10 and 25 degrees C will maximise light output".

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Jim 23-10-2005 08:52 PM

Honey fungus?

In article , says...
Honey fungus is reputed to glow in the dark

Hmm. No detectable glowing. So no positive proof it is honey fungus. On
the other hand it doesn't show it isn't honey fungus!

--
Jim

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 09:02 PM

Honey fungus?

The message
from Jim contains these words:

I've also uploaded some pix of the undersides - does it help you
identify it?
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

Yes, honey fungus.

The young caps are good pickled, or cooked like you'd cook mushrooms.
Larger caps can be chopped and added to dishes, but by themselves are a
bit bland and not altogether a pleasant consistency.

Older caps and some of the younger stipes can be dried and powdered (in
a liquidiser) and the powder added to flavor and thicken stews,
casseroles, savoury pancakes, omlettes, etc.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-10-2005 11:53 PM

Honey fungus?

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Are they all honey fungus? The ones in the grass look to have thinner
caps.

All the ones I looked at were.

Once you've seen and handled and smelt them you'll always know them.
There are two forms of Armillaria mellea: one is chunkier than the
other.

There's not much you can confuse it with, except perhaps Galerina
mutabilis - and that's a much better mushroom from the culinary point of
view, and I expect many trees would think so too, but for different
reasons...

gentlegreen 24-10-2005 10:49 AM

Honey fungus?

m...

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...k~bid~5569.asp

--
Jim

Jim 24-10-2005 01:06 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
says...
Yes, honey fungus.

Ok Thanks. Need to go and try to dispose of it all then!

--
Jim

Nick Maclaren 24-10-2005 01:21 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
Jim writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| Yes, honey fungus.
|
| Ok Thanks. Need to go and try to dispose of it all then!

Why? Realistically, the only thing to do with that is to live
with it, which may including attempting to reduce its spread,
but it is ubiquitous in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 04:08 PM

Honey fungus?

The message
from Jim contains these words:
In article ,
says...

Yes, honey fungus.

Ok Thanks. Need to go and try to dispose of it all then!

Frying pan.

But you won't eradicate it - and it's becoming accepted that it only
attacks ailing trees and shrubs anyway.

Jim 24-10-2005 04:53 PM

Honey fungus?

In article ,
says...
Need to go and try to dispose of it all then!

Why?

My thinking was that removing it would at least stop it spreading spores
and might weaken it? Would I be wasting my time?

--
Jim

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-10-2005 05:05 PM

Honey fungus?

The message
from Jim contains these words:

My thinking was that removing it would at least stop it spreading spores
and might weaken it? Would I be wasting my time?

Yes.

It'll stop it from spreading spores just as well if you cook the fruit
bodies. (or otherwise destroy them, but, what a waste!)