GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108415-bbcs-big-dig-mystery.html)

Sacha 30-10-2005 10:40 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On 30/10/05 20:58, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:
And if anyone 'out there' is reading this
for Gawd's sake put the names of the plants up on the blasted screen so that
people who are interested in PLANTS find out what they are!

And forget the fuzzy focus upside down through the legs camera shots..
just a picture of the plant, (NOT the presenter) and name caption. If
the presenter does not have an irritating speech defect, it's
permissible for him/her to voice-over the name of the plant.

I'm beginning
to think urg should stage a mass demo outside the Beeb this year if they
don't get it right!

Maybe a mass emailing to the DG :~}

Janet

Cissy! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jollygreenp 31-10-2005 12:05 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

WaltA 31-10-2005 01:01 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

Eeeek !
umble apology all round :)
what's the ransom to get released ?!

put it down to either
my age
or the fact that I was never sure if my ancestors were hung for
stealing sheep from the scots or cows from the ingleesh

:)

Helmsley where be that to? I ne'er heed telonit.

Pam Moore 31-10-2005 01:54 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)
They are looking for a more appropriate slot in which to show it.

Pam in Bristol

WaltA 31-10-2005 02:05 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:
We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

OT
PS
I suggest a long slow boil, at my age I think you would find me a bit
tough and stringy :-)

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh, hehee.

of course I would not be so crass or inept as to admit to a typo ,
would I :-))

PPS
When did Berwick(pronounce that if you will)-on-Tweed officially cease
to be at war with Russia ?

Answers in a brown paper envelope with a tenner please :-))
/OT

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 10:57 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message . com
from "Jollygreenp" contains these words:

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

A bit of quoted context might help us decode your message.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 11:00 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:
We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

OT
PS
I suggest a long slow boil, at my age I think you would find me a bit
tough and stringy :-)

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh, hehee.

of course I would not be so crass or inept as to admit to a typo ,
would I :-))

PPS
When did Berwick(pronounce that if you will)-on-Tweed officially cease
to be at war with Russia ?

Answers in a brown paper envelope with a tenner please :-))
/OT

And while he's about it he can have a stab at Wymondham, Milngavie,
Costessey and Stiffkey...

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 11:00 AM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:54:44 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

Kay 31-10-2005 12:49 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

In article , WaltA
writes

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh, hehee.

Reader's letter to one of the serious newspapers on the reported success
of the 'look and say' method of teaching reading in a Scottish county "I
look forward to a future report of the success of the 'look and say'
method in Kirkcudbright'

--
Kay

Sue 31-10-2005 12:50 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

"martin" wrote
Pam Moore wrote:
The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

I think that's a red herring anyway. They know perfectly well they won't
get high viewing numbers at that time of day (school runs, people at work
etc), but if those who *would* have been interested and could have taped it
if necessary hadn't heard about the series in advance, it just goes to show
they hadn't advertised it properly. Why on earth didn't they trail it at
the end of every Gardeners' World?

--
Sue

shazzbat 31-10-2005 02:32 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

k...

wrote:

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

About the same length of time as the words Forum and Agenda

Steve

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 02:51 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

I think that's a red herring anyway. They know perfectly well they won't
get high viewing numbers at that time of day (school runs, people at work
etc), but if those who *would* have been interested and could have taped it
if necessary hadn't heard about the series in advance, it just goes to show
they hadn't advertised it properly. Why on earth didn't they trail it at
the end of every Gardeners' World?

I'm surprised they haven't trailed it to death on R4 - every other
bleeding program on the entire network seems to be.

WaltA 31-10-2005 03:17 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:00:13 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:
I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh,

snips for brevity
And while he's about it he can have a stab at Wymondham, Milngavie,
Costessey and Stiffkey...

Chuckles.

ot
my post with picture links for you Rusty, on free.uk.nature.mushrooms

btw do you look in free.uk.nature.aurora ?
and if you have clear skies up there in Scotland there is currently
(3:15pm) a strong geomagnetic disturbance giving mid-latitude
radio-active aurora.
If it continues till dark you may see a display tonight.
/ot

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 05:53 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

my post with picture links for you Rusty, on free.uk.nature.mushrooms

Seen the post, not had the right-shaped tuits to look, yet. Playing with
the system...

btw do you look in free.uk.nature.aurora ?

No.

and if you have clear skies up there in Scotland there is currently
(3:15pm) a strong geomagnetic disturbance giving mid-latitude
radio-active aurora.
If it continues till dark you may see a display tonight.
/ot

Ah, but I'm down here in Norfolk. but I might fire-up the SW Comms receiver...

Jaques d'Alltrades 31-10-2005 06:00 PM

The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

The message
from martin contains these words:

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

About the same length of time as the words Forum and Agenda

Not forgetting florum and faunum

Florum - no such word in Latin

Flora - from the godess of flowers - plural (if that were possible)
would be Florae

Faunus - Woodland god