Old 26-10-2005, 03:37 PM
JennyC

Default loquats?

Hi

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will survive the
climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe even de
Dordogne?

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 26-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.
|
| They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will survive the
| climate here outside?
|
| Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe even de
| Dordogne?

They are almost hardy in the south of England. If you put them
in a sheltered, warm place, they will thrive. Many of them are
planted next to walls, and show where they were cut back to wall
height by cold winds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2005, 04:00 PM
p.k.

JennyC wrote:
Hi

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will
survive the climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe
even de Dordogne?

mine here in SW19 seems completely hardy - Cue disater this winter! - I even
got fruit (2!) this year.

pk

Old 26-10-2005, 06:08 PM
JennyC

"p.k." wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Hi

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will
survive the climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe
even de Dordogne?

mine here in SW19 seems completely hardy - Cue disater this winter! - I even
got fruit (2!) this year.

pk

Great news Nick and pk :~))
I shall nurse them thought the winter and put them out next spring:~)
Jenny

Old 27-10-2005, 03:08 PM
John McMillan

In article , "JennyC"

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will
survive the climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe
even de Dordogne?

Mine germinated fine and grow well, possibly too well,
in an unheated greenhouse in Sheffield.
However, outdoors, the wind burns the leaves and they perish.

Old 27-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John McMillan wrote:
In article , "JennyC"

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will
survive the climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe
even de Dordogne?

Mine germinated fine and grow well, possibly too well,
in an unheated greenhouse in Sheffield.
However, outdoors, the wind burns the leaves and they perish.

Perhaps. As it didn't happen here, I suspect that it may not be so
simple. They might be very sensitive to pollution, or it could
be a difference in variety, or it could be that they hadn't hardened
up. That certainly does happen with cold winds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Spider

JennyC wrote in message
Hi

I brought some loquat seeds back with me from Greece.

They have all come up and I am now wondering whether they will survive the
climate here outside?

Anyone got any experience growing them in the UK, Holland or maybe even de
Dordogne?

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
remove the squirrel to reply

Hi Jenny,

I have a loquat growing on clay in SE London. Although it gets plenty of
sun from both the South and West, it is nevertheless a fairly windy site.
If I were you, I would treat your plants rather like a Bay Tree (Laurus
nobilis), keeping them sheltered in winter until they have made some
substantial mature wood. At about this time, you will discover that you
can't contain them inside any longer, anyway! Plant them in a well-drained
postion in full sun. If you want fruit (fingers crossed) then give them a
high potash feed. Mine flowers in autumn (yes, frost can be a problem),
sets fruit in spring, and is ripe come late July/early August. In Spain,
the crop is ready about May-June time, so it may be different again in
Rotterdam.

I think I remember that you have a roof garden ..? If so, you will need to
weight or tether them so that the wind on the substantial leaves doesn't
cause them to blow over. Another consideration is leaf fall. Loquats
(Eriobotrya japonica) are evergreen, but lose many of those large leaves
over the year. I am forever picking them off a nearby border. This hasn't
harmed the border, but could harm a border or rockery of more delicate
plants.

Loquats have lovely, stout, rigid branches and make a great structural
shape. Almost regardless of where the sun is, they throw out these branches
in many directions, often low down across a path. Over many years, I have
had to completely remove three or four limbs to avoid personal decapitation.
Fortunately,
loquats seem to cope with this very well, so don't worry if you find
yourself in this position. As with all rosaceous woody plants, die back can
be a problem. It is well worth checking over your tree after the spring
frosts and cutting out any damaged wood. Die back often starts at the site
of frosted blossoms, so this is a good place to start your examination.

Spider

Old 31-10-2005, 05:04 PM
JennyC

"Spider" wrote in message

JennyC wrote in message
[...]

yes :~))
But I hope eventually to plant them out in the Dordogne in France.........we've
fallen in love with a house there :~))
All we need now is the house market to pick up here.......

[...]

They'll be on limestone if all goes well. Lots of sun and probably shaded by
other trees.

Jenny

Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Spider

JennyC wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

JennyC wrote in message
[...]

Sounds good to me, Jenny. I wish you heaps of luck selling your home while
the house of your dreams is still on the market.

Spider

Loquats Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 4 17-07-2014 10:35 PM
trimming loquats cc Texas 1 19-02-2008 02:14 AM
Loquats for wildlife? Bill McKee Texas 17 16-03-2004 04:33 AM
Loquats for wildlife? Bill McKee Texas 1 14-03-2004 03:54 PM
Loquats? Rod United Kingdom 5 20-04-2003 04:56 PM