Old 29-10-2005, 03:01 PM
les

Default Viburnum burkwoodii

I planted an evergreen Viburnum burkwoodii in August. It is in a reasonably
well drained site and I have been careful to ensure that it has been well
watered during the September dry spell. However, most of its leaves have all
started to go yellow and are starting to fall. I know that it is usual for
evergreens to loose some of its leaves but to me this seems rather
excessive. Is this a feature of a newly planted Viburnum or do I have a real
problem?

Les

Old 29-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Sue

"les" wrote
I planted an evergreen Viburnum burkwoodii in August. It is in a
reasonably well drained site and I have been careful to ensure that it has
been well watered during the September dry spell. However, most of its
leaves have all started to go yellow and are starting to fall. I know that
it is usual for evergreens to loose some of its leaves but to me this
seems rather excessive. Is this a feature of a newly planted Viburnum or
do I have a real problem?

Lovely shrub - gorgeous scent when in flower. They're more like
semi-evergreen really. This time of year you will start to get some leaf
loss and by the end of winter they can be quite bare looking before new
growth starts. Probably your new plant is just not yet well established
enough to hang on for longer.

In a bad winter they can also be susceptible to cold winds, so best not
planted where too exposed. I thought mine was giving up the ghost once when
a whole large branch upped and died, but in the end it survived major
surgery and I decided the damage was caused after the neighbour removed
some shrubs and trees her side of the boundary and had opened a bit of a
wind tunnel.

--
Sue

Old 29-10-2005, 09:48 PM
les

"Sue" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"les" wrote
[...]

Many thanks Sue. That's put my mind at ease.

Les