Old 30-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Sacha

Default How many gardeners here have NO lawn?

On 30/10/05 14:20, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 30/10/05 10:19, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

If you're not going to use your lawn to sit on or for children to play on,
then getting rid of it is certainly an option.

snip

I would really like more space for plants and veg.
ATM I'm confined to growing veg in containers and then I look at my uneven
lawn and try to imagine rows of beetroot, onions etc. ;O)

Old English cottage gardens grew veg in the front garden and lawns were a
luxury that took up good food space. Go for it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Draven you have the wrath of the Barrowcloth. You might as well exit this
newsgroup for good :-((

I often think it's a pity you don't take your own advice.

Not always, but often.

Happy Gardening.

Yers - and you've already admitted your input into that activity.

NB to all new poster.

If you engage the wrath of the 'owners' of this newsgroup, forget it, find
another hobby :-(( like knitting lamposts

When are you taking possession?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-10-2005, 08:38 PM
pammyT

I agree wholeheartedly. I hate lawns. Can't see the point. Large time
consuming boring expanses of plain green. If I had a normal sized
garden I would have a pathway winding this way and that and loads and
loads of shrubs, trees and plants. I would have a wide place to sit at
either end and something of interest to come upon in the middle
somewhere like a sundial or fountain.Beautiful.
I would love that fact that you couldn't see all the garden from the
house but would have to wander about to see it all.

Old 30-10-2005, 08:47 PM
pammyT

Collard Doves ? Are they like collard greens? Or perhaps collered
doves? :0)
Incidentally, I have 18 cats. I also have Robins, Wrens,
Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Bluetits, House and
Hedge Sparrows, Thrushes, Starlings, Blackbirds,Magpies. Most of which
nest in the large overgrown tangle of a hedge which includes,
blackthorn,hawthorn,elder and dog rose.
I don't have any electronic gizmos, neither do I have rats or mice.
The cats see to those :0)

Old 30-10-2005, 08:54 PM
pammyT

why not do it then? Here in the fen a lot of the older generations,
especially in council houses or farm cottages had this in the back.
They grew all the vegs there and only the tiny front garden had flowers.

Old 30-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Draven

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 30/10/05 10:19, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting
beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

If you're not going to (snip- good advice)

Sacha

I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

How many times would you like us to repeat our replies? :-)

Janet

Blueyonder has been messing with our mail due to an upgrade coming soon.
It does strange things like double postings or no postings at all.
Hope it will be worth it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Draven

Old 31-10-2005, 06:18 AM
JennyC

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

Draven

100% agree
Lawns are OK if you have huge spaces to fill. They are silly in small
residential gardens:~)
Jenny

Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM

Draven wrote:
I'm thinking of taking up, what's rest of my lawn, and putting beautiful
plants in its place.

How many would agree or disagree to this proposal?

It's your garden, you do what you want!

In answer to the question in the title, I have lots of grass, very
little of which would satisfy the traditional description of "lawn".
You should see how beautiful it was in late June, 400mm tall and a mass
of different types of flower.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
We've removed all the grass from the front garden and replaced it by
plants and ponds, and are really pleased with the result - lower
maintenance and much more to look at. And the piece at the back is now
less than half the size it was. It's not a big garden, but you now have
to walk around it to see everything of interest rather than taking it
all in at a glance.

I did the same with my front garden which now has a very large island
bed and a c shaped drive round. |This means I don't have to mow the lawn
at the front when I would never use it, sit on it or see it from the
window.
I now have trees and shrubs and perennials etc and less tidying up and
general maintenance. I can also see the shrubs from the window when
sitting down.
Would always have some lawn at the back but then we like lawn and trees
etc. It's up to the individual gardener as Kay says. If you have a lawn
you can edge your beds with smaller plants and they can been seen unlike
no grass and all the plants in wild profusion. Chances are anyway,
you'll get grass growing amongst plants in large beds, just not all
together in a lawn
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

Chances are anyway,
you'll get grass growing amongst plants in large beds, just not all
together in a lawn

It's a lot easier to avoid if you don't have a lawn! I have very little
grass in the end of the garden which is formal beds and gravel paths,
whereas it's a constant battle keeping the grass out of the beds
surrounding the lawn.
--
Kay