Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Glen Able

Default "Garden Centre Spiders"

Dunno if anyone's interested in this sort of thing, but this is just about
on-topic...

I've just found out about a curious species of spider that has been getting
increasingly common in GCs and glasshouses across the UK in the last decade
(they don't survive in the outdoors here). I've been seeing loads of them
in my local GC where they seem to be well established.

They're medium sized, a very distinctive shape, and create orb webs that are
usually horizontal (although they're only rather distantly related to our
familiar garden orb weavers). It seems they've been getting imported in
plants and cut flowers.

Some pictures and info he
http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspi...usplumipes.htm

Has anyone else spotted these little fellas?

cheers,
G.A.