Old 31-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincoln Linconshire
Default Top soil

Hi all
The Old Git here returning after the local council cleared my jungle of a garden, because my Solicitor told them to. To-morrow their here again laying top soil which they say will be seeded. I take that to mean that the soil comes with the lawn built in. I was tempted to say "sewn in".

Perhaps someone could pass on what I should do when the grass starts to grow.

How much should I let it grow, with what should I cut it with and any particular care I should administer in the mean time.

Ive had turf laid in my Fathers garden which wasn't a problem buy this grass growing from seed is a bit tricky.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Lyle

old git wrote:
Hi all
The Old Git here returning after the local council cleared my

jungle
of a garden, because my Solicitor told them to. To-morrow their

here
again laying top soil which they say will be seeded. I take that to
mean that the soil comes with the lawn built in. I was tempted to

say
"sewn in".

Perhaps someone could pass on what I should do when the grass

starts
to grow.

How much should I let it grow, with what should I cut it with and

any
particular care I should administer in the mean time.

[...]

If you get this in time, try to make sure they roll it. If it's just
spread, it'll probably settle awkwardly, and make life a bit harder
when it comes to the first cut. Ideally, seed shouldn't go in till
the new soil has had a month or two to settle. But it should be all
right: there's a big margin of error if you aren't making a crown
green bowling surface.

First cut, probably not till the grass is two inches high, and then
only take half an inch off. You can go shorter as the new sward gets
strongly rooted.

--
Mike.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Dwayne

I don't know about top soil that has been seeded, but one of the most
important thing about seeding your own is to keep the soil damp. Depending
on the weather I had to water it lightly every day, and on an extremely hot
day, I had to water it 2 times. This had to be kept up until the seed had
sprouted.

Dwayne

news