Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Dr Wu

Default Artichokes

Can globe artichokes survive the winter outside? We have a few on an
allotment that we took over this summer but nobody down there has grown them
before.At present they are about 2 feet high and went in as seeds in about
July.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dr Wu wrote:
Can globe artichokes survive the winter outside? We have a few on an
allotment that we took over this summer but nobody down there has grown them
before.At present they are about 2 feet high and went in as seeds in about
July.

Any reasonable winter, yes. Another 1962-3, probably not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Dr Wu" contains these words:

Can globe artichokes survive the winter outside? We have a few on an
allotment that we took over this summer but nobody down there has grown them
before.At present they are about 2 feet high and went in as seeds in about
July.

Yes - very hardy.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Diane Epps

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dr Wu" contains these words:

Can globe artichokes survive the winter outside? We have a few on an
allotment that we took over this summer but nobody down there has grown
them
before.At present they are about 2 feet high and went in as seeds in
about
July.

Yes - very hardy.

The problem is getting rid of them they they take quite some digging out I
have just got rid of mine and they make a good root system . We alsways
used to cut them down ofter flowering and the soon spring back up with fresh
growth.

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM