Old 11-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Sacha

Default Medicinal uses of plants

I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Ian Keeling

Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves made a
good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried nibbling one the
other day and confess that I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe it was the
wrong species - or perhaps it needs a good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe
it just needs a pinch of salt?

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst others).
Old 11-11-2005, 07:18 PM
middleton.walker

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves made a
good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried nibbling one the
other day and confess that I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe it was the
wrong species - or perhaps it needs a good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe it
just needs a pinch of salt?

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst others).

How about trying the tubers then?

Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Sacha

On 11/11/05 18:59, in article
, "Ian Keeling"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves made a
good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried nibbling one the
other day and confess that I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe it was the
wrong species - or perhaps it needs a good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe
it just needs a pinch of salt?

Had you considered walnut oil? ;-)
Perhaps it needs an adjustment of expectations. I knew Hemerocallis were
edible but have never been tempted to try it. OTOH, I've taken Lobelia
tablets for sinus problems and they are extremely effective. (BUT they must
be taken only for short periods because they can damage the liver.)

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst others).

Thank you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Sacha

Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves made a
good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried nibbling one the
other day and confess that I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe it was the
wrong species - or perhaps it needs a good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe it
just needs a pinch of salt?

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst others).

How about trying the tubers then?

Have you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but

all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves
made a good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried
nibbling one the other day and confess that I'm not entirely
convinced. Maybe it was the wrong species - or perhaps it needs a
good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe it just needs a pinch of salt?

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst
others).

How about trying the tubers then?

Have you?

I've eaten the flower-buds, as cooked for us by a Chinese visitor. A
gastronomic non-event, I thought. I've seen dried ones in oriental
shops, labelled "day-lily buds", in case anybody wants to try them.

--
Mike.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]
I've eaten the flower-buds, as cooked for us by a Chinese visitor.

gastronomic non-event, I thought. I've seen dried ones in oriental
shops, labelled "day-lily buds", in case anybody wants to try them.

Oh, and, taking my cue from Ray Mears, I've tried fresh very young
lime (linden, not citrus) leaves: they're a pleasant salading.

--
Mike.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
middleton.walker

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

Sacha wrote:
I've just stumbled across this interesting site:
http://www.pfaf.org/index.html

Yes, it's very good, isn't it - not only for medicinal uses, but all
sorts. I never knew, for example, that young Hemerocallis leaves made a
good salad. On the basis of what I read there I tried nibbling one the
other day and confess that I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe it was the
wrong species - or perhaps it needs a good salad dressing ;-) Or maybe
it
just needs a pinch of salt?

The entire database is downloadable in MS Access format (amongst
others).

How about trying the tubers then?

Have you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

the simple answer is yes....

Old 11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]
I've eaten the flower-buds, as cooked for us by a Chinese visitor.

gastronomic non-event, I thought. I've seen dried ones in oriental
shops, labelled "day-lily buds", in case anybody wants to try them.

Oh, and, taking my cue from Ray Mears, I've tried fresh very young
lime (linden, not citrus) leaves: they're a pleasant salading.

I sometimes use chickweed. And very young shoots of hogweed are quite a
pleasant vegetable, though they have to be *VERY* young, or they taste
like cats' armpits.

I also use ground elder and many of the chenopodia as green veg.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

I sometimes use chickweed. And very young shoots of hogweed are quite a
pleasant vegetable, though they have to be *VERY* young, or they taste
like cats' armpits.

You've licked cat's armpits??!!

Kay

Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Sacha

On 11/11/05 20:01, in article ,
"middleton.walker" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 11/11/05 19:18, in article
,
"middleton.walker" wrote:

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message

snip

How about trying the tubers then?

Have you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

the simple answer is yes....

And?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Someone told us earlier this year that the shoots of Black Bryony were good
to eat. Anyone done this?

No fear! It is (IIRC) the only native representative of the yam family,
and I believe, poisonous.

We were reminded of the use of hop shoots as a vegetable though.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

I sometimes use chickweed. And very young shoots of hogweed are quite a
pleasant vegetable, though they have to be *VERY* young, or they taste
like cats' armpits.

You've licked cat's armpits??!!

Ah, how we suffer in the name of Science.