Old 28-11-2005, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Indoor climber for low light- is this possible?

"VX" wrote
I'm collecting all the suggestions so I have multiple fallback options if one
thing (or more) fails to work out, so thanks for that one!
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Personally I'm all for plastic or silk myself in situations as you describe!
You can hardly tell the difference with good quality ones nowadays :~))
Jenny

Old 28-11-2005, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from VX contains these words:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:57:41 +0000, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote
(in message ):

before you rush out and buy things, have you considered a rubber tree? I
know it's not a climber, but it will put up with very poor light.

I found one on the farm's bonfire heap and rescued it, and two years
later, it fills the corner of a room. It gets easterly light through the
glass panel of the front door, filtered through a cheesecloth curtain,
and it seems quite happy, though it is reaching for the door...

Is this the same thing as a rubber plant, or is a rubber tree somethng
different?

Same difference.

I didn't explain the space limitations too well- although the
window I want a climber for is two meters high by one metre wide, I
can only
afford the growing part of the plant (as opposed to the pot) to
project about
six inches into the available space- its actually a very small space
altogether and with a climber fitting the above space limitations
there will
just be room for me to sit down on a chair. So when you say "fills the
corner
of the room" I sense that this may be something that likes a
three-dimensional space! Then again it may just be growing towards the
light
source. I'm hoping that whatever I grow here will conveniently just glue
itself to the glass and not try to grow out away from it.

Ah. The rubber tree/plant takes up a bit of space, and is waiting for me
to build somewhere sensible to put it.

All plants that I know of will grow towards light.

I'm collecting all the suggestions so I have multiple fallback options
if one
thing (or more) fails to work out, so thanks for that one!

I think you can forget the rubber idea - while the plants will tolerate
very low levels of light, they do tend to like a bit of room.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/