Old 29-11-2005, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Storing unplanted plants over winter (Gunnera)

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

LOL! I met Ray because I was a customer here, refurbishing a garden in a
village about half an hour away. When we got married, thanks entirely to
David Poole who introduced me to the nursery, Andy Mabbett said "some women
will do anything to get cheap plants." ;-))
Just the other day, Ray dug up some bits of Canna for someone, though it was
a male this time. But I'm quite used to seeing him disappear into the
shrubbery with some strange woman.......

Orpheus in the Undergrowth?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2005, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just for the record, the gunnera was £5.99 for a small plant... I
don't have it here but the pot is 3 or 4 inches, and the plant itself
quite a sturdy stump with 2 or 3 healthy looking leaves. Probably 5 or
so inches above the soil.

Interesting comments about better results from smaller plants. As with
a lot of amateur gardeners I'm sure, I've always gone for the bigger
(and more expensive) plants when I've had a choice, thinking that they
would perform better as they had a head start.

Now I know better....

Cheers

Will