Old 22-11-2005, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Gunnera - winter care?

I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late June. I
planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time to sent up any growth. The
plant produced the leaves, the largest was about 4 inches across. Since I
am in zone 6, I know that it can't survive outside. My only windows for this
plant are north or east facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go
dormant in my basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and store
it like I do my cannas and dahlias?

Old 23-11-2005, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late
June. I planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time to
sent
up any growth. The plant produced the leaves, the largest was
about 4 inches across. Since I am in zone 6, I know that it
can't
survive outside. My only windows for this plant are north or
east
facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go dormant in my
basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and store
it
like I do my cannas and dahlias?

I would leave it in the pot or probably better yet would be to
put it into a bigger pot and store it in your unheated basement.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-11-2005, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Travis" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late
June. I planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time to
sent
up any growth. The plant produced the leaves, the largest was
about 4 inches across. Since I am in zone 6, I know that it
can't
survive outside. My only windows for this plant are north or
east
facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go dormant in my
basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and store
it
like I do my cannas and dahlias?

I would leave it in the pot or probably better yet would be to
put it into a bigger pot and store it in your unheated basement.

I will leave it in the pot. The utility area of my basement stays about
60F, which hasn't proven a problems for storing my mandevilla, brugmansia,
or bananas.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about the
size of my fist or a largish potato.

Old 23-11-2005, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late
June.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about

the
size of my fist or a largish potato.

It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding the root
size, before they can start producing those giant leaves. Fully grown
ones here have huge roots about the size of my desk, each individual
leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature plant takes up about as
much space as a pickup truck..

I hope you have a big basement... :-)

Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can baby it. I
understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.

Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Vox Humana wrote:
[...]

If your basement is 60F that may be too warm for it to go
dormant. It probably stayed small because it was restricted by
the size of the pot, not enough water and/or nutrients, and the
short length of your summer.

This summer was only my second year growing Gunnera so I don't
know all that much about them.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 24-11-2005, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents
in
late June.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The
rhizome
was about the size of my fist or a largish potato.

It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding
the
root size, before they can start producing those giant
leaves.
Fully grown ones here have huge roots about the size of my
desk,
each individual leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature
plant takes up about as much space as a pickup truck..

I hope you have a big basement... :-)

Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can
baby
it. I understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.

Last week I built a hardware cloth cage lined with landscape
fabric and filled with sawdust over mine to protect it from the
cold.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5