Old 12-12-2005, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default How much should a gardener cost?

"lawnmower man" wrote

I know this is probably a thread that has been asked before and for
this i apologise. I have tried to access the archive but had no luck so
here goes!!!

Can anyone advise me as to how much a good gardener should cost to tidy
a small garden as it is a bit overgrown, and then routinely cut it and
keep it generally tidy, weeding etc.

The garden is about 5m by 10m and is about 2/3 lawn and the rest is a
kind of box hedge about 60cm high and then beds to the other 3 sides.

It is for my mother who lives in the Bradford region (West Yorkshire)
and I want her to get a good professional in who will take everything
away and make a nice job of it.

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 12-12-2005, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

That's about the same here now, too. Our chap brings his own machinery,
too. But he doesn't garden, as such - he cuts the lawns, does the hedges in
autumn, things like that.

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire
Old 15-12-2005, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikey

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire

Hope he don't read t'internet newsgroups, or he'll be asking for a
rise...
Old 19-12-2005, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

We have a gem who can do all the basic stuff, he also builds and
repairs stone walls, we pay him £10 per.hour plus tea and biscuits when
he has done,we get value for money :-)

kate
Gloucestershire

Hope he don't read t'internet newsgroups, or he'll be asking for a
rise...

LOL, I think I am pretty safe there, his main interest is in finding and
doing up old tractors.

kate

Old 12-12-2005, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob Hobden"
answered
"lawnmower man"

snip

Any ideas of cost would be really appreciated so i can help her get
somebody good.

The one around here charged £15 per hour min £45 two years ago and he
wasn't
a trained gardener just an odd job man.

That's about the same here now, too. Our chap brings his own machinery,
too. But he doesn't garden, as such - he cuts the lawns, does the hedges
in
autumn, things like that.

This guy did painting and decorating as well as tidying up gardens but
couldn't prune my neighbours apple trees etc.
He now concentrates on the painting and decorating side and there is another
"gardener" about now and he appears more professional, unfortunately I have
no idea how much he charges.

Old 13-12-2005, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/12/05 22:24, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

I think that a 'real' gardener would probably be twice the price but does
anyone with the average sized garden need such a person? I'm talking about
someone who would run a garden as a housekeeper would run a house, and both
are few and far between these days in private houses. Such a gardener would
do absolutely *everything* including taking cuttings from his or her
employer's plants, raising plants from seed, bringing on veg or fruit for
the family's table etc. etc. What most people mean by a gardener nowadays,
is someone who cuts the grass, does a bit of weeding as directed and
generally keeps things tidy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk