Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default how much does mortar cost?

I have about a 20'x 4' stream to do.. how much would mortar cost for that?

Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
jon

Do you mean concrete ?

Old 11-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Michael Shaffer

No, mortar.. like concrete but less strong and doesn't have lime (bad
for fish.)

Old 11-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Michael,

A stream that long and wide will be very prone to crack and leak! Will you
reinforce it? Have yo thought of liner...flexible and probably cheaper.

We have a cement pond, but went to liner for the streams.

Good luck.

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 11-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Michael Shaffer

Yea, the book I have shows using a liner and mortar on top to fill in
the cracks between the rocks, to make it flow smoother and look better.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 AM

Call you logical Home Depot, Lowe's. ect.

It comes in 60 lb bags at $ 4.88 each give or take.
one bag dose less then two feet at two inches thick.

Poor choice.

Old carpit and under carpit liner and rubber roof, Nice rock sides.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I bought three 80# bags a couple of weeks ago at HD, $3.89/bag.

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
RichToyBox

Mortar is generally for use as the bonding course for brick and block. It
has extra lime added to make it a little bit more sticky. In fact the old
brick layers, before bag mortar, use to slake quick lime overnight before
mixing in the Portland cement. Concrete on the other hand does not have the
added lime, but does generate some lime, as calcium hydroxide during the
hydration process. Mix the concrete with the least amount of water that you
can work with to make the concrete more dense, and it will be slower
releasing the lime water. Let it cure with moisture, preferably 28 days, as
this reduces the internal pore size and makes the concrete more watertight.
Allow the concrete to dry for several days to get air into the pores and it
will become much harder for the lime water to pass through the air breaks.
You can also use an acrylic additive that improves the watertightness. Then
just monitor pH, and if needed do partial water changes until it stabilizes.
--
RichToyBox