Old 12-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Question Looking after Xmas fir trees

My friend and I staggered home with a living tree to decorate for Christmas, and we'd like to try and keep the poor thing living so we can plant it in the garden after Christmas.

It appears to be in good health, and is in a fairly large pot (the tree itself is just over six feet tall).

How can we best look after the tree, particularly in terms of any watering? The man at the shop where we bought it was very blase about what we did with it and wasn't much help.

Thanks,

Mercy
Old 13-12-2005, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Looking after Xmas fir trees

Has it got good roots? if not then you have no chance. The absolute
best way is to keep it in a cool place, preferably out of the house
till Christmas day, and then take it out again on boxing day. What
usually happens is they get warm in the house, and start to grow, but
the roots can't provide sufficient water, they get stressed and die.
Some will survive, but I suspect that is is a very small percentage,
and then only the smaller ones with a good root system. Yours at 6'
will probably not survive I'm afraid.

Mike

Old 13-12-2005, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mercy" wrote in message

My friend and I staggered home with a living tree to decorate for
Christmas, and we'd like to try and keep the poor thing living so we
can plant it in the garden after Christmas.

We did this some years ago, it was the worst thing we ever did, it
grew to 80 feet high and about ten feet across, the needles killed
off most of the growth beneath it.

So, if you do take that step, cut the thing down after two or three
years, or, unless you have several acres of garden, you, and your
neighbours will suffer for many years to come, and if they do get
too large for you to cut down it will cost you about £300 pounds
to get rid of it.

Alan

--
Mercy

Old 13-12-2005, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sarah Dale

Mercy wrote:
How can we best look after the tree, particularly in terms of any
watering? The man at the shop where we bought it was very blase about
what we did with it and wasn't much help.

Keep the tree as cool as possible (within the limitations of having it
in the house) and WATER it. The redcommendation is at least one pint a
day, but with a tree as large as the one you have, I'd go for two pints
a day. Invest in a good size, deep, tray/saucer thing (sorry technical
term has escaped me....) to put under the pot to catch the excess water.

HTH

Sarah
Old 14-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Smile

Thanks to all for the advice - it seems our tree could either drop dead on the 27th or spend the rest of its life growing to beanstalk proportions (giant beanstalk, of course; the type with giants up it).

I'll keep up with the watering and see what the roots are like when Christmas is done with - fingers crossed. I'd miss him. We called him Henrik, after Ibsen.

Yeah, so we name our plants...

Thanks again,

Mercy

Old 14-12-2005, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Mercy
writes

Thanks to all for the advice - it seems our tree could either drop dead
on the 27th or spend the rest of its life growing to beanstalk
proportions (giant beanstalk, of course; the type with giants up it).

I'll keep up with the watering and see what the roots are like when
Christmas is done with - fingers crossed. I'd miss him. We called him
Henrik, after Ibsen.

Yeah, so we name our plants...

Thanks again,

Mercy

Maybe Henrik would be happy for quite a few years in a large pot?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 14-12-2005, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Klara wrote:
In message , Mercy
writes

[...]
I'll keep up with the watering and see what the roots are like

when
Christmas is done with - fingers crossed. I'd miss him. We called

him
Henrik, after Ibsen.

[...]

Maybe Henrik would be happy for quite a few years in a large pot?

Then you could cut him up and he'd make a doll's house.

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Klara wrote:
In message , Mercy
writes

[...]
I'll keep up with the watering and see what the roots are like

when
Christmas is done with - fingers crossed. I'd miss him. We

called
him
Henrik, after Ibsen.

[...]

Maybe Henrik would be happy for quite a few years in a large pot?

Then you could cut him up and he'd make a doll's house.

Might as well. He'll never turn into a cherry tree.

Sorry: invalid. We can't check that one off. (I just hedda say that!)

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Klara wrote:
In message , Mercy
writes

[...]
I'll keep up with the watering and see what the roots are like

when
Christmas is done with - fingers crossed. I'd miss him. We called

him
Henrik, after Ibsen.

[...]

Maybe Henrik would be happy for quite a few years in a large pot?

Then you could cut him up and he'd make a doll's house.

--
Mike.

In which they could keep The wild duck

Old 17-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Red face

Eeep! Guys! Have a little compassion. Henrik can Peer at the screen from where I'm sitting.

Mercy

Old 18-12-2005, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c.

Mercy wrote:
My friend and I staggered home with a living tree to decorate for
Christmas, and we'd like to try and keep the poor thing living so we
can plant it in the garden after Christmas.

It appears to be in good health, and is in a fairly large pot (the tree
itself is just over six feet tall).

How can we best look after the tree, particularly in terms of any
watering? The man at the shop where we bought it was very blase about
what we did with it and wasn't much help.

Thanks,

Mercy

--
Mercy

This may seem a bit strange and at 6 foot I'm not sure if it'll work.
Practice some really bad pruning technique. Nip off the leader, though
in your case, cut it off. But not down to the next bud/branch. i.e.
leave a stalk/stem which will almost certainly not shoot fresh growth,
but will instead loose what ever needles are left on the stem, become
dry looking and quite, quite dormant. This will be quite ugly so invest
in some sort of ornamant which can fit down over the top whilst in the
house.
Remaining in the pot, feed and keep well watered, during the growing
season.
Ours is now 3 years old. It gets brought in a week to 10 days before
christmas and remains insitu until some day in january when we're
finally bothered to to it back out. Which we do as ; in at night for a
few days and out all day.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.c.
Mercy wrote:
[...]

Well, the season is over, and Henrik had shed his last needle. We did what we could. The tree has had it. I shall attempt the above, but hold little hope. He is for the chop. At least he will be recycled.

A sad day...

Mercy

pot grown trees (inc. xmas trees!) roy robinson Marketplace 0 21-11-2006 03:18 PM
Douglas fir or Douglas-fir?? [email protected] Plant Science 3 29-06-2005 02:12 AM
douglas fir trees Ray Gardening 10 20-06-2003 10:56 AM
Concrete and two large fir trees Steve United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 03:56 AM
Supplement soil for hedge going near fir trees? PNW Bob Muir Gardening 2 26-03-2003 10:56 PM