Old 13-12-2005, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
grawrc

Default Which asparagus?

I am intending to plant an asparagus bed in the spring and wondered
whether anyone had any recommendations as to which sort I should plant?
Thanks for your help.
Anne

Old 13-12-2005, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

The message om
from "grawrc" contains these words:

I am intending to plant an asparagus bed in the spring and wondered
whether anyone had any recommendations as to which sort I should plant?
Thanks for your help.
Anne

I have Connovers collossel. Grown from seed. No problem at all.
Old 13-12-2005, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TR

making an asparagus bed takes time
think years rather than seasons
good prep
any good variety will work
but it takes time to mature mine is a plot 8 ft by 6 ft and has taken love
and care for the last 6 years
i get a crop of about 300 good spears (i live in the cotswolds so its not
ideal ) mulch and manure and dont disturb surface weed but leave the bloody
plot alone is my advice the crowns need to come from a reputable supplier
out of the 30 or so i planted originaly maybe 20 are there still
who knows as the buggers spring up where n when they like
and as an aside dont try to plant horse radish anyy where within a couple of
miles i swear the two plants are magneticaly attracted
my horseradish escaped from its bucket and is running riot bloody stuff
hope this helps
dave
ps.com...