Old 19-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Dr Teeth

Default Turf (Grass)

If I were to lay turf directly onto concrete will it grow?

TIA

Sean

Old 19-03-2003, 07:20 PM
don

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
If I were to lay turf directly onto concrete will it grow?

TIA

Sean

All concrete needs light and water to grow-so don't kill it with turf.

Old 19-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
Ho hum - I mean't will the turf grow

Probably not. Mine dies off at the edge of the driveway where the soil is
only an inch deep. It won't drain properly either. That said though, people
succesfully grow grass on garage roofs so I guess with a couple of inches of
soil it can survive. It'll never be a bowling green though.

Why do you want to do this though? Is the concrete so thick you can't remove
it easily? What do you want to use the area for? For a kids play area for
example, maybe astro-turf would be suitable.

Martin

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Dr Teeth

Just knocked down an old conservatory and the only remnants is a thick
concrete slab - just thought an easy solution would be to lay grass but
obviously not. I will think about a patio instead.

Thanks for the info

Sean

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
news

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dr Teeth wrote:
Just knocked down an old conservatory and the only remnants is a thick
concrete slab - just thought an easy solution would be to lay grass but
obviously not. I will think about a patio instead.

With a smooth surface like that, you can lay a patio on as little as
1" of sand, though using 2" is easier. That leads to a minimum total
increase in depth of 3".

You can also consider making raised beds or planters using bricks
or concrete blocks, which are very good for growing drought tolerant
plants in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:14:29 +0000 (UTC), "Dr Teeth"
wrote:

If I were to lay turf directly onto concrete will it grow?

It may survive for a while, though probably not past the first drought
or serious downpour. We've got a very large air-raid shelter under the
lawn in one of our gardens, it's got over a foot of soil over it and
it still half kills the grass over it in very dry years.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
Suggest good turf grass installation company? Dan Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM