Old 16-12-2005, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Keith Dancey

Default No Visitors

In article , "Kate" writes:

I *do* buy the best foods, Rupert! And my own recipe is made using
top-quality ingredients, too. Maybe these are burger-and-fries birds
and not silver-service ones, although the magpie always dresses for
dinner ;-)

Kate, I think you may be trying too hard.

Try and maintain just ONE highly visible (from above) feeder with cheap(ish)
general seed, which is attractive to House Sparrows and Tits, fairly close
to some cover. Don't fill it, either, because if the take-up is too slow it
will simply rot.

Maybe some occasional stuff (bread?) on the ground for the local Blackbird and
Dunnock... (but not too much before they appear)

At least you won't be wasting so much of your time and money. It is too
dispiriting, otherwise.

Then simply wait, and observe. Either they will start to come (and as
they appear they will attract others - as well as other species - when you
can begin to ramp-up slowly on the supply-side...) or they will not.

You have clearly tried everything else.

It took me two years to get Chaffinches to my window feeder(s). Now I get
scores, because the first parents brought along their offspring, and the
whole thing "snowballed":-)

Cheers,

keith

---
Iraq: 6.5 thousand million pounds, 90 UK lives, and counting...
100,000+ civilian casualties, largely of coalition bombing...
London?...