Old 15-12-2005, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

Default No Visitors

No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

--
Regards
James (ukjay)

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Old 15-12-2005, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Anne Burgess

No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

Alive with Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins,
House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits and a Robin.

Nice to see them all.

Anne

Old 15-12-2005, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Anne Burgess wrote:

Alive with Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins,
House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits and a Robin.

Blackbird, magpies, blue tits, squirrels and a crow, a noisy one at
that.

Old 15-12-2005, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Anne Burgess" wrote in message
No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

Alive with Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins,
House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits and a Robin.

Nice to see them all.

Anne

Wow that's an impressive list Anne!
I really can't understand why they haven't been here today, I hope I haven't
killed them off??
Usually see Blackbirds, Coal Tits, Sparrows, Greenfinch.
But today ______________

Looks like I'll have to go back to the old fashioned method and chuck some
bread on the lawn :-)

Old 15-12-2005, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anne Burgess wrote:

Alive with Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins,
House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits and a Robin.

Blackbird, magpies, blue tits, squirrels and a crow, a noisy one at
that.

Silence here, apart from the odd helicopter (No they didn't land in my
garden)

:-)

Old 15-12-2005, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

OOPS
forgot Robin

Old 15-12-2005, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

--
Regards
James (ukjay)
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Just noticed on my AWS (which updates on my website) that the wind has
reached 20mph, average 9mph, so that may put our small feathered friends
from flying today?

James

Old 15-12-2005, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Anne Burgess wrote:

No visitors today :-(

I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???

What did you clean it with? They may not like the smell...

How's your garden for activity today?

Alive with Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins,
House Sparrows, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Blue Tits and a Robin.

About the same except the goldfinches don't ever come to the feeder.
Also the odd wren, pheasant, wood pigeon, crow and magpie in the garden.
And a woodpecker attacking the electricity pole opposite.

Nice to see them all.

One thing that is a bit strange with our local sparrows is that they
have learnt to cling onto vertical rendered walls and bird feeders
intended for tits and finches. They clean us out in a day or two!

I have tried shortening the perch but that inconveniences the finches
without significantly affecting the sparrows.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-12-2005, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Kate

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

--
Regards
James (ukjay)
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

I am not going to bother any more. I spend a lot of money on
proprietary foods and also make my own, but all we get in the garden
are pigeons and starlings. Occasionally a robin and a couple of
blackbirds will deign to visit, and now and again a blue tit, but
that`s it. The peanuts shrivel, the sunflower hearts get damp from
condensation and go mouldy - and so on and so on. As I mentioned in
an earlier post, I think our garden is bird-friendly, but the birds
just aren`t friendly to us. When I remember the varieties we used to
get in the garden when we lived in the Fens, I get very downhearted.
Admittedly, our quarter-of-an-acre garden there was an oasis in the
middle of intensively-farmed arable fields, but we didn`t put much
food out and we had : robin, blackbird, blue tit, great tit, wren,
fieldfare, yellow wagtail, pied wagtail, turtle dove, cuckoo
(youngsters that gorged on the hairy caterpillars bivouaced in the
hawthorn hedge), pheasant, partridge (I had a `pet` partridge who
would sit on my shoulder like a parrot!), warbler, greenfinch, linnet,
house sparrow and even a black redstart passing through. We had
hares, shrews, and stoats in the garden and horseshoe bats in the
roof. As I suggested before, I think there are too many people
feeding too few birds where we live now, but I can`t think of anything
else we could do to entice them, so I`m admitting defeat.

Kate

Old 15-12-2005, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Kate" wrote in message

[...]

I can see why you feel like giving up Kate from what you say, you must be
well ****ed off
Last resort maybe the Christmas pudding trick ;-)
Put up a sign "All welcome here" (apart from cats)
Seriously I would have thought that once you get some birds in your garden
others will follow
Happy Christmas

James

Old 15-12-2005, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Anne Burgess wrote:

[...]

Hi Martin

Just cleaned them with washing up liquid, and rinsed well.
The sparrows just hop around on the ground so far as I know, but will
observe and see
if they learn any tricks. I was surprised when I first saw a Robin use the
fat ball feeder!
No woodpecker attacks !!!!

James

Old 15-12-2005, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
No visitors today :-(
I have cleaned and replenished the feeders, but no takers???
How's your garden for activity today?

--
Regards
James (ukjay)
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Well yesterday I saw a nuthatch here .OK no big deal but it's only the
second one I have ever seen.
Today one of my cats caught a wood pigeon which escaped unscathed. I am
certain the cat seems to be more traumatised than the bird--poor pussy

Old 15-12-2005, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Rupert" wrote in message
Well yesterday I saw a nuthatch here .OK no big deal but it's only the
second one I have ever seen.
Today one of my cats caught a wood pigeon which escaped unscathed. I am
certain the cat seems to be more traumatised than the bird--poor pussy

:-):-):-)

No Nuthatch here :-(

Old 15-12-2005, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Kate" wrote in message ...

[...]

But is your garden full of mature shrubs and trees for them to feel safe
when perched on?
We find that the feeder on the pole in the middle of the garden (good view
all round?) does better trade than the one on the bird table next to the
fence, it's also within easy hop of our Camellia bushes (to 14ft tall) and
we notice the birds tend to land on there first and have a good look around
before coming to the feeder.

Haven't looked today. too busy, but the other day in an hour before lunch to
our amazement we saw in our tiny little garden...
Dunnock, Blackbirds, Robins (2 fighting), Starlings, Lesser Spotted
Woodpecker, Sparrows (lots), Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Greenfinch,
Goldfinch, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeon, and 4 Ring Necked Parakeets (big
population wild around here) you should have seen the Starlings scatter.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/r...keet/index.asp
Haven't seen our usual Wren & Goldcrest for a while though.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-12-2005, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Our dog forgot to re-bury her current bone yesterday and left it on
the back lawn. So the first thing we saw this morning was a very large
crow pecking out the marrow. For the second day running, the red
squirrel risked death by darting out just behind said dog, and for the
second day running, fortunately she didn't notice. The nutfeeders were
hosts to bluetits, great tits, greenfinches and chaffinches. As I worked
in the garden I saw blackbirds, thrushes, a wren, and robins all
scuffling around in the mulches. John saw a sparrowhawk divebomb into
the big hedge where the sparrows hang out, without catching one.

Big bonfire, dug out old strawberry bed, rain stopped play mid afternoon.

Janet.

Very Impressed Janet!
Let's see what tomorrow brings here in Stoke-on-Trent

Fingers Crossed!