Old 30-12-2005, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Heseltine arboretum

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 30/12/05 12:42 am, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

snip

It's only an idle thought and may be quite wrong but when they started, I
don't think they, personally, were any sort of experts. In fact, didn't
Heseltine come perilously close to going entirely broke and then recovered
by going into publishing - not sure. But what I'm thinking is if they
*weren't* experts when they started, maybe they did not, in fact, get what
was the good advice they thought and perhaps they were 'over sold'
deliberately.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

No I think Hezza made his fortunes long before entering politics in his
30's.
You are thinking of Jeffrey Archer perhaps.
With his reputed wealth there is not much excuse for getting it wrong .
Is planning an arboretum that difficult?

Old 30-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
I can respect your point of view but I don't agree with it and
I think it's moving away from the matter of 'did anyone see/enjoy/dislike
the TV PROGRAMME' (which you didn't watch) and into the realms of politics
and personal beliefs, so I hope you will excuse me from discussing it

with
you any further.

I see.

michael adams

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 30-12-2005, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:

No I think Hezza made his fortunes long before entering politics in his
30's.

Hezza? It was Tarzan in my days. And in the late 80s there was a lot of
money put into quangos managing management's management, if I recall

You are thinking of Jeffrey Archer perhaps.
With his reputed wealth there is not much excuse for getting it wrong .
Is planning an arboretum that difficult?

No. It's the land that's the difficult part.

Old 30-12-2005, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Lesurf

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I think it's because the programme (supposedly about an arboretum)
was being used as vehicles for two quite different agendas by Heseltine
and the director.

I had a similar impression. I felt that he'd been asked to provide (or had
suggested) a program about his arboretum, but then, the intervewer was
asking him about his (past) career.

It seemed fairly clear from his reactions that he didn't want to be
interviewed about that. However what I saw left some "chicken and egg"
questions...

Did he clam up and give the interviewer the impression that he was being
arrogant because he was not wanting to go back into this past career, and
her questions were an annoyance from his POV as he'd been told/arranged
that the program was about the arboretum?

Or did she start asking about that because (off camera) she had already
decided that he still had strong feelings about that which he was trying to
'forget' by focussing on the arboretum project, or that she already felt he
was arrogant, or using the progam for his own ego?

However the program didn't seem to me to shed any light on the answers to
the above. So any answers may be in the reporter's notebook or on the
cutting room floor.

I didn't care much, though, as I enjoyed the images and the music. so
treated it as a pleasant semi-gardening program with scenery. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old 31-12-2005, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jim Lesurf wrote:

I didn't care much, though, as I enjoyed the images and the music. so
treated it as a pleasant semi-gardening program with scenery. :-)

I get that watching Top Gear )