Old 19-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Stephen Dobson

Default greenhouse heater fuel

Anybody know where to get paraffin for our greenhouse heater cheaper than
£3.70 for 4 litres

thanks Steve

---

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:50:35 -0000, Stephen Dobson wrote:

Anybody know where to get paraffin for our greenhouse heater cheaper
than =A33.70 for 4 litres

Parrafin =3D kerosene =3D 28sec heating oil as used in most domestic oil=

fired boilers. Last lot I bought (about a month ago) was fing
expensive 24.1p/l + VAT ( at 5%). Of course you need to buy this in
somewhat larger quantities but if you have a neighbour with oil fired
heating or Aga or WHY then try slipping him a quid or two for a can of
oil...

However 28sec heating oil might not be quite as purified as things
like "Parsene", probably having a higher sulphur content. I don't know
if the fumes from a heater burning 28sec would damge any plants. And
judging by the lack of other responses when I mentioned this a while
back no one else does either...

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Trevor Barton

Dave Liquorice wrote:
However 28sec heating oil might not be quite as purified as things
like "Parsene", probably having a higher sulphur content. I don't know
if the fumes from a heater burning 28sec would damge any plants. And
judging by the lack of other responses when I mentioned this a while
back no one else does either...

I've used it for a few years with no problems whatever.

Trev
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
david

When you say 28 sec heating oil, are you referring to Red Diesel or to
paraffin?
If the later then it is OK to burn direct in the greenhouse, but diesel has
a sulphur content that is to high. If in doubt find out the oil company and
ask them.
When we had BP refinery close to us here I phoned and was given all the
facts and figures within 10 mins...and 5 of those were getting through to
the right person.
I am sure you could Email the company concerned and get a reply quite
quickly

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Trevor Barton

david wrote:
When you say 28 sec heating oil, are you referring to Red Diesel or to
paraffin?
If the later then it is OK to burn direct in the greenhouse, but diesel has
a sulphur content that is to high. If in doubt find out the oil company and
ask them.
When we had BP refinery close to us here I phoned and was given all the
facts and figures within 10 mins...and 5 of those were getting through to
the right person.
I am sure you could Email the company concerned and get a reply quite
quickly

It's paraffin. Red diesel isn't something I'm going to want to put
into my house boiler!

Trev

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:11:03 -0000, david wrote:

When you say 28 sec heating oil, are you referring to Red Diesel or
to paraffin?

As I said in my orginal post Paraffin = kerosene = 28sec heating oil.

For these purposes (not duty!) Red diesel = gas oil = white diesel =
road diesel = 35sec oil.