Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Russel Sprout

Default Hooded Executioner Plant

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help. One of my children received a kit to grow
some Hooded Executioner Plants (Sarracenia minor). The instructions are
brief and I suspect inadequate for a satisfactory outcome. I've Googled it
and found out that it grows in north Florida/South Georgia, so I have some
idea of the climate and conditions required, I suspect my conservatory would
be a pretty good place (unheated in all but the coldest winter weather and
south facing). However, I cannot find any descriptions of cultivation. Does
anyone have any experience/ideas.

TIA
Steve.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help. One of my children received a kit to grow
some Hooded Executioner Plants (Sarracenia minor). The instructions are
brief and I suspect inadequate for a satisfactory outcome. I've Googled it
and found out that it grows in north Florida/South Georgia, so I have some
idea of the climate and conditions required, I suspect my conservatory
would
be a pretty good place (unheated in all but the coldest winter weather and
south facing). However, I cannot find any descriptions of cultivation.
Does
anyone have any experience/ideas.

TIA
Steve.

Yes they were selling these in my local Pound shop at 75p. along with other
exotics in 1 inch plant pots.
I would suggest putting it in a larger pot once it gets going

I got this info from this site
http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk...roductid=17195
Grown from seed collected from plants growing alongside the drainage ditches
feeding the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia. The parent plants reach over
90cmhigh with robust pitchers. Superb colouration with copper/red tops
andwhite windows at the back and extending down the tube. Extremely
vigorous. Sunny position. Stand in 2-5cm rainwater. Allow to die down in
winter and cut off brown parts of trap. Keep damp but don't stand in too
much water. Keep sheltered, but no heat needed over winter. Compost:
6:2:1peaterlite:sand

Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alastair

Check out www.sarracenia.com for an extensive FAQ on carnivorous
plants.

I got one of these last year but the seeds didn't germinate. Hopefully
they will for you....as they're beautiful plants.