Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default geodesic greenhouse

I've just agreed to buy second hand a 5m diameter geodesic greenhouse
(glass house). I have to dismantle, move it then re-erect it in my
garden. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to do this? To what
constituent parts (pentagons and hexagons, or triangles?)should I break
it down to? How best should I rebuild it? Anyone out there done this?

Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just agreed to buy second hand a 5m diameter geodesic greenhouse
(glass house). I have to dismantle, move it then re-erect it in my
garden. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to do this? To what
constituent parts (pentagons and hexagons, or triangles?)should I break
it down to? How best should I rebuild it? Anyone out there done this?

Not done that, but would seem like a good idea to mark bits with numbers so that
they correspond. Might make reconstruction easier :~))
Jenny

Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:54:30 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I've just agreed to buy second hand a 5m diameter geodesic greenhouse
(glass house). I have to dismantle, move it then re-erect it in my
garden. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to do this? To what
constituent parts (pentagons and hexagons, or triangles?)should I break
it down to? How best should I rebuild it? Anyone out there done this?

Not done that, but would seem like a good idea to mark bits with numbers
so that
they correspond. Might make reconstruction easier :~))

If you look at the million and one links I posted, most normal garden
sized domes seem to be made for DIY assembly with detailed
instructions provided. They are delivered as tubes and interface
pieces etc. I couldn't find a site that showed how the glass is
attached. Is glass used or are the panels transparent plastic?
I'm quite tempted to make a DIY one. I could do with one over the
house at the moment, the tiles have moved either because of the
December gale or because of the recent snow and we have water dripping
into the roof space.
--
Martin

Do you mean something like this?
http://www.edenproject.com/ or this
http://bfi.org/node/441

A friend once built one of these as a greenhouse but it acted more like a
solar furnace and shrivelled everything he tried to grow.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks everybody for all your ideas. And a solar furnace might be OK
here on the drizzly west coast of scotland....

anyone have a geodesic glass dome greenhouse? prost Gardening 3 01-01-2008 03:59 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM