Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Hormone rooting powder - sell by date??

Mike Roscoe wrote:
"thesquire" wrote in a message:
snip
I have been told on good authority that the talc powder based
preparations lose their effectiveness after about eight months,

even
if kept in a closed container and refrigerated.
---

I have been using the same giant tub of hormone rooting powder for
the five years. No wonder my cuttings haven't come to much these

past
three.

Where can I get some 'fresh' rooting powder from ???

Notcutts?

I know I'm not alone in thinking the freshness of your rooting powder
probably has little to do with your success rate. Few species
actually need it, and -- especially if you use too much -- it can
even _hinder_ rooting. I think light, temperature, moisture level,
and medium are usually more important. It's also easy -- or it is if
you happen to be as casual as I often am -- to put in your cuttings
in such a way or such a medium as to leave an air gap underneath or
around them: this is asking for failure.

--
Mike.

rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 3 09-03-2005 12:43 AM
rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 0 08-03-2005 02:33 AM
Hormone rooting compound ? Sla#s United Kingdom 2 03-02-2005 09:40 PM
rooting hormone WiGard Gardening 5 01-02-2004 02:46 PM
Shelf liife of rooting hormone Franz Heymann United Kingdom 26 24-08-2003 05:03 PM