Old 12-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Question Alternative to a Rhododendron.

Hello there,

I am wanting to plant something which looks like a Rhododendron.

I would prefer something which is a pretty quick grower and will grow to about 6 foot high and suitable for soil pH5 to ph6.

Something nice and easy to grow and flowers as long as possible throughout the summer.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Alternative to a Rhododendron.

In message , jawa
writes

Hello there,

I am wanting to plant something which looks like a Rhododendron.

I would prefer something which is a pretty quick grower and will grow
to about 6 foot high and suitable for soil pH5 to ph6.

Something nice and easy to grow and flowers as long as possible
throughout the summer.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Try looking into Kalmias - tho' I'm not sure whether they match the
details of your specification. BTW, Kalmias are toxic (but then so are
Rhododendrons).

Or Enkianthus campanulatus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-01-2006, 03:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jay

Why not try an azalea. Formosa gets about 6ft tall and likes a slightly
acidic soil. They come in white, purple, pink or red

Old 13-01-2006, 03:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jay

Old 13-01-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"jawa" wrote in message

Hello there,

I am wanting to plant something which looks like a Rhododendron.

How about a rhododendron?

Des (sorry I could not resist)

Old 13-01-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:20:47 +0000, jawa
wrote:

Hello there,

I am wanting to plant something which looks like a Rhododendron.

I would prefer something which is a pretty quick grower and will grow
to about 6 foot high and suitable for soil pH5 to ph6.

Something nice and easy to grow and flowers as long as possible
throughout the summer.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Where are you, or more especially, how cold does it get in winter?

And why don't you want a rhodie, may I ask? There are hundreds of
hybrids in all shapes, sizes and colours. They don't all look like R.
ponticum.

Failing all else, try camellias. Camellia Donation is very popular,
with large pink, semi-double flowers, and is reasonably fast growing,
although it will eventually get to more than 6 feet. But easily
pruned.

--
Chris

Old 13-01-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"jawa" wrote in message

Hello there,

I am wanting to plant something which looks like a Rhododendron.

How about a rhododendron?

Des (sorry I could not resist)

Actually, that's not such a daft idea. Rhododendrons are a huge and
varied family if you look beyond what's commonly available in garden
centres. Long flowering season tho' is not a feature of the group.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 13-01-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com, Jay
writes
Why not try an azalea. Formosa gets about 6ft tall and likes a slightly
acidic soil. They come in white, purple, pink or red

Botanically speaking, Azaleas are Rhododendrons. But did you mean
Pieris, which seems to match your description better? (There is a Pieris
formosa; I don't know of a Rhododendron formosum.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-01-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:23:09 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
I don't know of a Rhododendron formosum.

There is one, nevertheless. Maddenii series, ciliicalyx subseries, R.
formosum has large white flowers with yellow throats and a red band on
the outside of each 'petal'. Grows upright to 10ft tall, and highly
scented, but not hardy.

--
Chris