Old 29-01-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Willows and pond liners

I was wondering whether to plant a small willow fairly close to a pond.
It's Salix petiolaris which is a small shrubby tree which apparently
only grows to 12' or so.

I wonder though whether there's a danger that the roots could find their
way through a a butyl liner. I know they can do that very easily to
drainage pipes.

Janet G
Old 29-01-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

I was wondering whether to plant a small willow fairly close to a pond.
It's Salix petiolaris which is a small shrubby tree which apparently
only grows to 12' or so.

I wonder though whether there's a danger that the roots could find their
way through a a butyl liner. I know they can do that very easily to
drainage pipes.

No, they won't penetrate the liner, unless there's a hole in it already.
They get into drainage pipes by muscling in through the joins, growing,
and disrupting the line of them.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 29-01-2006, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I was wondering whether to plant a small willow fairly close to a pond.
It's Salix petiolaris which is a small shrubby tree which apparently
only grows to 12' or so.

I wonder though whether there's a danger that the roots could find their
way through a a butyl liner. I know they can do that very easily to
drainage pipes.

Janet G

No but best not to have any deciduous tree near a pond because of the leaves
..

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 30-01-2006, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I was wondering whether to plant a small willow fairly close to a pond.
It's Salix petiolaris which is a small shrubby tree which apparently
only grows to 12' or so.

I wonder though whether there's a danger that the roots could find their
way through a a butyl liner. I know they can do that very easily to
drainage pipes.

Janet G

No but best not to have any deciduous tree near a pond because of the
leaves

The leaves of evergreens don't stay on for ever, you know.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 31-01-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Janet Galpin wrote:
I was wondering whether to plant a small willow fairly close to a
pond. It's Salix petiolaris which is a small shrubby tree which
apparently only grows to 12' or so.

I wonder though whether there's a danger that the roots could find
their way through a a butyl liner. I know they can do that very
easily to drainage pipes.

Drains are rigid material but hollow inside, the roots merely find a gap and
grow, with a rubber liner they will simply grow beneath it and maybe cause a
few extra bumps...authenticity at no extra cost!