Old 17-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Seven

Default When to plant kilmarnock willows

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Kilmarnock willow and have decided to
go ahead and buy one, but is this the best time to plant a new one, or would
I be better off waiting till spring?

--
I used to be a bighead
Now I am perfect )

Old 17-09-2003, 02:16 AM
ned

Seven wrote:
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Kilmarnock willow and have
decided to go ahead and buy one, but is this the best time to plant

new one, or would I be better off waiting till spring?

I think the general theory is that one should plant hedging and trees
in autumn (wait a bit yet) so that the root system has a chance to
establish and develop before it has to support rising sap and leaf and
stem growth.
Also the theory goes that it should be wetter in autumn and winter so
you don't have to water quite so much.

--
ned

Old 17-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Seven

"ned" wrote in message
Seven wrote:
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Kilmarnock willow and have
decided to go ahead and buy one, but is this the best time to plant

new one, or would I be better off waiting till spring?

I think the general theory is that one should plant hedging and trees
in autumn (wait a bit yet) so that the root system has a chance to
establish and develop before it has to support rising sap and leaf and
stem growth.
Also the theory goes that it should be wetter in autumn and winter so
you don't have to water quite so much.

Thanks Ned, I am really looking forward to having it in my garden, shouldn't
be too long now

)