Old 29-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Lincoln Linconshire
Default Giving life to my hedge

I have a 5ft hedge that encompuses my property. Unfortunately the previous owner had 2 rockeries growing along side it and in time thinned out the hedge dramatically. Ive cleared everything from the garden now but the hedge looks patchy in places. Could someone tell me what to treat the hedge with to revitalise it.

My oppologies to readers if this was recently posted, but I don't have time to search manually through 752. A search box might be a good idea.

Thanks a lot.
__________________
Michael.
http:www.gettingitcheaper.co.uk
Old 29-01-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , old git
writes

I have a 5ft hedge that encompuses my property. Unfortunately the
previous owner had 2 rockeries growing along side it and in time
thinned out the hedge dramatically. Ive cleared everything from the
garden now but the hedge looks patchy in places. Could someone tell me
what to treat the hedge with to revitalise it.

Well, course of action depends on the type of hedge. Do you know what
plant it is? Is it deciduous or evergreen?

My oppologies to readers if this was recently posted, but I don't have
time to search manually through 752. A search box might be a good
idea.

This is the Usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening, which to Gardenbanter is
just basically a web interface. Using the web to read newsgroups realy
isn't a very good way to do it - a proepr newsreader on your own machine
is much better. But if you want to search the archives and GB don't
provide one then use Google Groups

http://groups.google.com/
--
Chris French

Old 29-01-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

old git wrote:
I have a 5ft hedge that encompuses my property. Unfortunately the
previous owner had 2 rockeries growing along side it and in time
thinned out the hedge dramatically. Ive cleared everything from the
garden now but the hedge looks patchy in places. Could someone tell me
what to treat the hedge with to revitalise it.

My oppologies to readers if this was recently posted, but I don't have
time to search manually through 752. A search box might be a good
idea.

A search box? - from this I presume you are using the hideous Gardenbanter
site?

Clue:
This isn't a website, it's a newsgroup, if you open outlook express and
create a news account, you can visit uk.rec.gardening (along with about
45,000 other groups), all of them searchable...haven't got a clue about your
hedge though.

Old 30-01-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John

In article ,
old git wrote:

I have a 5ft hedge that encompuses my property. Unfortunately the
previous owner had 2 rockeries growing along side it and in time
thinned out the hedge dramatically. Ive cleared everything from the
garden now but the hedge looks patchy in places. Could someone tell me
what to treat the hedge with to revitalise it.

Judging by the state of the soil around the roots of my old hedge, that
I dug out last October (and replanted), then digging down a foot or so,
close to the hedge, with a fork not a spade, will do a lot of good. The
soil around my old hedge was so compacted it was like concrete. I would
dig alongside it, loosen it all up, throw a load of Growmore in where
I'm digging, and finish off with a few gallons of water. Also, I'd wait
another 3 weeks before doing this - so that Spring is well under way.

My old hedge was a magnificent, very slow growing Cupressus type of
thing, 20-30 years old. However it started to go brown in uncontrollable
patches, so I decide to replace. (I now wonder if I'd done what I
described above I could have rescued it; but it was too late by the time
I'd discovered the "concrete".)

I imagine the treatment above would be a tonic to any hedge, no matter
what species. But I'm no expert (just another old git!).

John