Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sjstokes

Default Leggy tomato seedlings

Hello all,

I've recently grown a variety of tomato plants from seed in an electric
propagator. For whatever reason (perhaps too high a temperature?) the
seedlings are very leggy. The first leaves are typically 3-4 inches
above ground level and the stems are so thin that the plants are having
difficulty standing up straight.

I'll shortly be looking to transplant them into pots but am wondering
if it would be beneficial to plant them somewhat deeper than their
current level. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is generally a good
idea with tomato plants as they'll sprout new roots from the buried
part of the stem. It would also make the seedlings rather less
top-heavy than they currently are. My question is, firstly is this a
good idea and secondly if it is, then how deeply should I be
transplanting them?

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"sjstokes" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I've recently grown a variety of tomato plants from seed in an electric
propagator. For whatever reason (perhaps too high a temperature?) the
seedlings are very leggy. The first leaves are typically 3-4 inches
above ground level and the stems are so thin that the plants are having
difficulty standing up straight.

IMHO its too early, not enough light at this time of year.
Where were you planning to grow them?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sjstokes

IMHO its too early, not enough light at this time of year.
Where were you planning to grow them?

They'll be growing in a greenhouse. The instructions on the packet
suggested sowing them from January onwards for greenhouse cultivation.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

"sjstokes" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'll shortly be looking to transplant them into pots but am wondering
if it would be beneficial to plant them somewhat deeper than their
current level. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is generally a good
idea with tomato plants as they'll sprout new roots from the buried
part of the stem. It would also make the seedlings rather less
top-heavy than they currently are. My question is, firstly is this a
good idea and secondly if it is, then how deeply should I be
transplanting them?

Hi, yes, you should plant the stems as deeply as possible, so that the
leaves are just clear of the soil. The stems will root and therefore give a
stronger root system. For the past 2 years I grew tomatoes from seeds
planted in January/February, but I've always had trouble with lanky stems
due to lack of light at this time of year (even though my seedlings were on
the window ledge). I've also had trouble putting them too early into an
unheated greenhouse, because they really get knocked back if it's a bit cold
one night. This year I've decided to wait until March to sow the seedlings.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sjstokes

Hi, yes, you should plant the stems as deeply as possible, so that the
leaves are just clear of the soil. The stems will root and therefore give a
stronger root system. For the past 2 years I grew tomatoes from seeds
planted in January/February, but I've always had trouble with lanky stems
due to lack of light at this time of year (even though my seedlings were on
the window ledge). I've also had trouble putting them too early into an
unheated greenhouse, because they really get knocked back if it's a bit cold
one night. This year I've decided to wait until March to sow the seedlings.

Thanks for that. Planting them right up to the leaves would mean
planting them a good three inches deeper. Is it OK to go as deep as
that? Did your lanky stems 'beef up' sufficiently over time or did they
remain scrawny?

Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message . com
from "sjstokes" contains these words:

[...]

My guess would be that if they're that spindly they might well rot if
you plant them very deeply. You could perhaps go for some middle way.
I'd agree with others though that it's very difficult to nurse seelings
through from a January sowing unless you have artificial lighting and
can heat your greenhouse, especially at night. Late February is about as
early as is reasonably practicable without special equipment etc.
The good thing is you've still got time to sow again if this lot doesn't
prosper.

Janet G
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

"sjstokes" wrote ...
[...]

I'm not an expert by any means, but my gardening teacher, and books that
I've read, advise to transplant seedlings as deeply as possible, including
tomatoes. The first year the lanky stems remained thin and lanky and I had
a bit of trouble keeping them upright, but they did produce loads of heavy
tomatoes. Last year the stems beefed up after I planted them as deeply as I
could (although the pots weren't deep enough to plant up to the leaves). If
you have plants to spare, try planting half very deeply and the other half
not so deeply and see what happens. Lots of daylight and not too hot I
think is the trick - something difficult to achieve in February when
daylight is short and we turn up the heating indoors.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

"sjstokes" wrote
I've recently grown a variety of tomato plants from seed in an electric
propagator. For whatever reason (perhaps too high a temperature?) the
seedlings are very leggy.

This website gives good (professional) advice on growing tomatoes:
http://www.tinkersgardens.com/vegetables/tomatoes.asp

Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Mark Gardening 5 14-02-2005 10:08 PM
Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Cereus-validus..... Gardening 0 14-02-2005 05:50 AM
What causes "Leggy" seedlings? TakeThisOut Gardening 26 11-04-2003 04:44 AM
leggy seedlings Jessica Gardening 13 05-04-2003 06:56 AM
What to do with leggy seedlings JimM United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 06:20 AM