Old 31-03-2003, 03:44 AM
TakeThisOut

Default What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only 2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 31-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Special Kitty

Your seedlings have Marphistes Gall disease. It is caused by the
Marphistes mite. The female mite lays her eggs in the developing seeds
of the mother plant the previous summer. The eggs overwinter in the new
seeds and hatch in March and April of the following year. The
stretching is caused by the larvae being trapped within the stems of the
sumflowers and their wiggling as they try to escape.

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and ask for a quart of
muriatic acid. Pour it full strength on your seedlings. It will kill
the Marphistes larvae immediately. Any leftover muriatic acid makes a
great substitute for gin or vodka in mixed drinks such as gin and tonic
(muriatic acid and tonic) or vodka martini (muriatic martini). Don't
worry, muriatic acid is completely harmless, as it is used in swimming
pools with no known problems.

TakeThisOut wrote:
What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only 2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 31-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

TakeThisOut wrote:

What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only 2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Not enough light. I'd probably toss them and start over.
Old 31-03-2003, 05:32 AM
zxcvbob

TakeThisOut wrote:

What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only 2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Some combination of: too little light, too warm temperature, not enough
air movement. (I bet you weren't expecting the last one.) Set up an
oscillating fan in your plant room to blow the plants around just a
little to strengthen the stems.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 31-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Charlie

We don't use that in our swimming pools in the UK, and the Chemicals we do
use would kill seedlings and humans if they were used without diluting.
From experience, I'd say it was just lack of direct light, mine have done
the same things.

Charlie.

TakeThisOut wrote:
[...]

---

Old 31-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

The bull shit about "Marphistes Gall disease" is bad enough but telling them
to pour extremely dangerous and corrosive hydrochloric (muriatic) acid on
the plants and then to ingest it is criminal. No wonder you don't have the
balls to use your real e-mail address, you evil troll.

Old 31-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

This is what happens when someone doesn't know what they are talking about
replies.

Do a google search on hydrochloric (muriatic) acid and get beck to us, dude.

Charlie wrote in message
We don't use that in our swimming pools in the UK, and the Chemicals we do
use would kill seedlings and humans if they were used without diluting.
From experience, I'd say it was just lack of direct light, mine have done

Old 31-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Snooze

"Special Kitty" wrote in message

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and ask for a quart of
muriatic acid. Pour it full strength on your seedlings. It will kill
the Marphistes larvae immediately. Any leftover muriatic acid makes a
great substitute for gin or vodka in mixed drinks such as gin and tonic
(muriatic acid and tonic) or vodka martini (muriatic martini). Don't
worry, muriatic acid is completely harmless, as it is used in swimming
pools with no known problems.

Muriatic acid is more commonly known as hydrochloric acid, really strong
stuff.

Pouring it over the seedlings will result in seedlings that have been
disolved in an acid. Drinking it will probably kill the person, or atleast
destroy their mouth and throat.

Joking about this kind of stuff is dangerious and wreckless, on usenet,
where the advice might get logged and archived. Someone might actually do
this and get killed.

Sameer

Old 31-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Snooze

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
What causes "Leggy" seedlings?

I planted sunfolwer seeds in cell packs, and now they're tall with a pair

of
leaves, some with 2 pairs, but they're staarting to fall over! Too soon to
plant outdoors... should I repot them and stake them now? They're only

2-3"
tall and can't stand on their own?! Is this normal?
Thanks!

Did you plant these seedlings on a window sill? That causes leggy seedlings,
because the plants grow only in one direction, instead of following the sun
across the horizon. One way to reduce this, is to rotate the container every
day.

Sameer

Old 31-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Shepherd

Muriatic acid is a very powerful and dangerous substance.
We use it to etch cement prior to painting.

DON'T use it on any living thing, and for God's sake DON'T ingest it.

Shepherd

Old 31-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Charlie

Ah, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid? Must be an American term, I've
never heard it used here. Still, swimming pool dilutions of hydrochloric
acid would just burn the plants, it would have to be diluted. Not sure I'd
drink either, it burns if you get it on your hands.

Charlie.
BTW, don't call me dude, I'm female.

. com...

Charlie wrote in message
We don't use that in our swimming pools in the UK, and the Chemicals we

do
use would kill seedlings and humans if they were used without diluting.
From experience, I'd say it was just lack of direct light, mine have

done

Old 31-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Pam

Special Kitty wrote:

Your seedlings have Marphistes Gall disease. It is caused by the
Marphistes mite. The female mite lays her eggs in the developing seeds
of the mother plant the previous summer. The eggs overwinter in the new
seeds and hatch in March and April of the following year. The
stretching is caused by the larvae being trapped within the stems of the
sumflowers and their wiggling as they try to escape.

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and ask for a quart of
muriatic acid. Pour it full strength on your seedlings. It will kill
the Marphistes larvae immediately. Any leftover muriatic acid makes a
great substitute for gin or vodka in mixed drinks such as gin and tonic
(muriatic acid and tonic) or vodka martini (muriatic martini). Don't
worry, muriatic acid is completely harmless, as it is used in swimming
pools with no known problems.

Please, PLEASE, ignore this post. The poster is either a troll or worse, has no
idea what they are talking about. Muriatic acid is extremely toxic:

http://www.mcmua.com/hazardouswaste/...iatic_Acid.htm

And there are absolutely no hits - NOT A SINGLE ONE - when doing a search on
google under "Marphistes gall" or "Marphistes mites".

A very creative, but dangerous troll.

pam - gardengal

Old 31-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Everything that troll "Special Kitty" said was a malicious lie so you
shouldn't give it any serious thought.

By the way, Charlie, loved your perfume, Dudette!

Charlie wrote in message
Ah, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid? Must be an American term, I've
never heard it used here. Still, swimming pool dilutions of hydrochloric
acid would just burn the plants, it would have to be diluted. Not sure

I'd
drink either, it burns if you get it on your hands.

Charlie.
BTW, don't call me dude, I'm female.

. com...

Charlie wrote in message
We don't use that in our swimming pools in the UK, and the Chemicals

we
do
use would kill seedlings and humans if they were used without

diluting.
From experience, I'd say it was just lack of direct light, mine have

TakeThisOut wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Leggy tomato seedlings sjstokes United Kingdom 7 06-02-2006 11:18 PM
Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Mark Gardening 5 14-02-2005 10:08 PM
Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Cereus-validus..... Gardening 0 14-02-2005 05:50 AM
leggy seedlings Jessica Gardening 13 05-04-2003 06:56 AM
What to do with leggy seedlings JimM United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 06:20 AM